Binoviewer?

Name
Andy Jones
Edit My Images
Yes
I was talking to a friend last night and the subject of eye conditions came up. It got me thinking about some kind of binoviewer to replace the single eye method. Some eye conditions leave blind spots or areas of weak vision which are normaly not a problem as the brain uses information from the other eye to compensate. But what about using a camera? If the condition is in your right eye it could be a real problem - shooting left eyed is one solution but I remember when that subject came up before and I tried it and found my nose got in the way of the controls.

So this got me thinking about binoviewers which you can get for a telescope - they're not cheap but it does allow both eyes to be used. Anyone come across anything similar for an SLR?

I then wondered about other conditions - lots of us wear glasses and there's plenty of dioptre solutions about but what if the person has an astigmatism? My left eye has quite a severe one for close work which I noticed when trying left eyed shooting so that got me thinking about some kind of eyepiece that would allow a slot in lens to be used - does such a thing exist? I'm thinking get an optician to custom make a small lens and just drop it in.

I then wondered about other conditions - lots of us wear glasses and there's plenty of dioptre solutions about but what if the person has an astigmatism? My left eye has quite a severe one for close work which I noticed when trying left eyed shooting so that got me thinking about some kind of eyepiece that would allow a slot in lens to be used - does such a thing exist? I'm thinking get an optician to custom make a small lens and just drop it in.

Good idea, I have astigmatism in my right eye (which explains my wonky horizons) and the drop in lens might help. What could we do about taking photographs in portrait format though?

I figured the eyepiece would need to rotate 90deg so it worked in either format - that would also need to happen for a bino type gadget I guess...

Maybe it would be possible to modify a viewfinder eyecup to fit at two positions and glue a lens in that?

Back