Bioluminescent Algae/Plankton

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive seen a few photos from a Photographer in Wales showing Bioluminescent algae on beaches in Anglessey and North Wales this week. Doing a bit of reading July is the prime time, with the best conditions being warm weather and flat calm seas.

I would love to see this. I think the massive tidal ranges we get here in Morecambe Bay would prohibit such blooms. Any of you guys ever seen it? Might be worth a trip to the beach one night, especially for the Welsh togs.

Ive seen a few photos from a Photographer in Wales showing Bioluminescent algae on beaches in Anglessey and North Wales this week. Doing a bit of reading July is the prime time, with the best conditions being warm weather and flat calm seas.

I would love to see this. I think the massive tidal ranges we get here in Morecambe Bay would prohibit such blooms. Any of you guys ever seen it? Might be worth a trip to the beach one night, especially for the Welsh togs.
The Welsh coast has a pretty high tidal range too. I sort of saw it last year. Went looking and saw a very weak "light" when someone threw a big rock in. I also went to another beach where I'd seen some great pics from, again nothing much to see and not enough to photograph. A friend got a few shots by going swimming in it but not as good as the pics I'd seen. Cant help wondering how much processing some have had...

I've only ever seen this sort of thing whilst sailing... made particularly special when we got dolphins alongside at the same time. This was on a millpond North Sea somewhere between Sweden and Leith, in June/July. Unfortunately no photos.

I've seen it at angelsey, but as above it was a very weak blue, but i suppose there could be a bloom at a certain time of year.

Penmon is a good place to see it. You'll want a new moon for best results and you do need a swell for it to really come to life. I've seen it half a dozen times at this location but it does get busy.

FWIW, it's pretty dark at night for the next few days.

Back