BIPP Photographer of the year 2017

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys please forgive my ignorance but why would this series of photographs win someone the prestigious photographer of the year 2017 award? I love looking at portraits and i especially love guys like Manny Librodo and Jason Lanier for their gorgeous portraits but this stuff seems second rate to me. i see nothing special about it at all. these were the only 5 images on the BIPP web page so there may be much more to this series but surely there are better portrait photographers out there. Sorry i don't mean better photographers the guy could be great but more interesting photographic series.

upload_2017-3-22_15-1-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-22_15-0-57.png
    upload_2017-3-22_15-0-57.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 37
  • upload_2017-3-22_15-1-7.png
    upload_2017-3-22_15-1-7.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2017-3-22_15-1-17.png
    upload_2017-3-22_15-1-17.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 39
  • upload_2017-3-22_15-1-26.png
    upload_2017-3-22_15-1-26.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 37
I think that we all like different things and these are what the "judges" like

I can never figure out some winners or why people say images are fantastic/marvellous/great when I see them in a different way

I think that we all like different things and these are what the "judges" like

I can never figure out some winners or why people say images are fantastic/marvellous/great when I see them in a different way
I certainly think that when I see some of the winners of the Natural History Museum competition, if you want to take realistic photos of insects where you can see the details really well then don't bother entering as photos like that never win.

I know what you mean. I went to see the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in London last month and was quite underwhelmed by the images. Sure there were some decent ones, but others were just ok. I paid for entry, it took 10 mins to look around the exhibition and then I was done. There was nothing I was really drawn to to actually stop and look at. After that we looked around the rest of the NPG and found that much more interesting (got our money's worth there instead).

Photography is subjective and when you're talking about a competition, it's down to the people judging it.

It's the same with the Critique section here. You post your photos that you like, others may not like them, but it doesn't change the fact that you like what you created, though the critique may help you improve.

Guys please forgive my ignorance but why would this series of photographs win someone the prestigious photographer of the year 2017 award? I love looking at portraits and i especially love guys like Manny Librodo and Jason Lanier for their gorgeous portraits but this stuff seems second rate to me. i see nothing special about it at all. these were the only 5 images on the BIPP web page so there may be much more to this series but surely there are better portrait photographers out there. Sorry i don't mean better photographers the guy could be great but more interesting photographic series.

View attachment 98385

Those remind me of the days when I had to photograph thousands of items for a seasonal mailorder catalogues.
You fixed the lighting and set up, then shot loads of similar items one after the other.
Those boys heads seem to have had the same production like treatment.

Perhaps they were shot for a P**** catalogue.... but perhaps that is just unkind.......

Last edited:
Those remind me of the days when I had to photograph thousands of items for a seasonal mailorder catalogues.
You fixed the lighting and set up, then shot loads of similar items one after the other.
Those boys heads seem to have had the same production like treatment.

Perhaps they were shot for a P**** catalogue.... but perhaps that is just unkind.......
If I took photos of school kids for a living, I would be so upset seeing photos like that winning and not mine.

Back