Bird ID Please

Edit My Images
Yes
Can you id this large bird of prey please....

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

Thanks
David.

S'not too clear but I think that its a buzzard
However the "cere" & "legs" are a little yellow for a wild hawk, did you see anything hanging from its legs? it could be an AWOL Red tail hawk.
Wild birds legs and cere's are more brown they go yellow with captivity feeding, ie mostly day old chicks.

Thanks Chris

Nothing hanging from the legs at all. He has been around on and off for months and appears here (at my mothers home) fairly regularly. Don't think he has been in captivity but have nothing to say otherwise, he just looks wild.
When we looked in the book we thought buzzard but weren't sure.
Sorry about the quality but he was at extreme range for my 18-200.

Thanks Chris

Nothing hanging from the legs at all. He has been around on and off for months and appears here (at my mothers home) fairly regularly. Don't think he has been in captivity but have nothing to say otherwise, he just looks wild.
When we looked in the book we thought buzzard but weren't sure.
Sorry about the quality but he was at extreme range for my 18-200.

No Worries
Its definatley in Mature plumage which ever one it is, If you get a chance of a rear veiw have a look at the tail it will be a deep rusty ruddy colour, if it's a Red tail hawk ( hence the name :D)
Captive bred buzzards do exist in falconry, but are a right pain to hunt successfully, as they are mostly carrion eaters, Its not unknown for the "odd one or two" to get "accidentally lost" rings jesses etc are "removed" before they get "lost"
Its just that the cere (the bit above the nostrils) and legs are rather yellow

yep buzzard

Back