Bird iD please?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Wonder if anyone can throw any light on this please - small bird with what appears to be a sharpish beak and a darker feather patch back from the eye.
Sorry for the poor images, too far away for the lens to hand.

View attachment 9795

View attachment 9796

If it is Joe the beak must be deformed?

Andy it was a bit larger than I would expect for a sparrow - it was taken just outside of Exeter.

I don't think it's a crossbill although the size would be right, the female has more of a greenish tinge to the breast. The eye stripe looks about right but best wait for one of the very knowledgeable birders to come along. Joe could well be right about a deformed bill on a house sparrow but if it was overall bigger as well then you never know it may have been something more special.

Definitely not a Crossbill. Gramps if you've no objection I'll forward your images on to my brother who is a bit of an authority on things avian.

Definitely not a Crossbill. Gramps if you've no objection I'll forward your images on to my brother who is a bit of an authority on things avian.

Thanks Bruce, that would be useful :)

Ok result is in and.............

....... a female House Sparrow with a deformed beak.

Sorry!!!!!!!:(

Okay ... no mention in the 'Twitchers Guide of Historical Finds' then :D

Okay ... no mention in the 'Twitchers Guide of Historical Finds' then :D

No but you might want to send the image to the BTO as they record this type of thing apparently.

Back