Beginner Bird lens

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, would like some help please, I am really drawn to nature photography ( new to any photography) mostly birds and just wondered if any one can recommend a lens to start on, I will be using a canon 60D. My budget is up to £500. Thanks.

Think you will need to buy 2nd hand on that budget , not sure on 2nd hand prices but , Canon 300 F4 , save for a 1.4 converter to go with it , or a Canon 400 f5.6 , or one of the recent Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM zooms , if your aiming at small birds you really need a 400mm lens minimum , but realistically the longer focal length the better . Many people have achieved marvellous images on the above mentioned lenses , they should be close to your budget 2nd hand , hope that helps .

Last edited:
Was looking at one of these :- Canon EOS EF fit Sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6 AF APO DG OS HSM

That canon 120-400 is on at £449

Thanks Tony, gone to that site and purchased 150-500 with OS for £424, I know it's not the best lens but for a starter at that price I had to get it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dale, I use my 500mm on a monopod to aid with stability. It might be worth thinking of one of those next.. I hope the lens lives up to expectations :) MPB are a good company, fair and you get a warranty.

Last edited:
Dale, I use my 500mm on a monopod to aid with stability. It might be worth thinking of one of those next.. I hope the lens lives up to expectations :) MPB are a good company, fair and you get a warranty.

May I ask what 500mm lens you use?

Les :)

Already purchased a good sturdy tripod and it came with a monopod.

Thanks Tony, gone to that site and purchased 150-500 with OS for £424, I know it's not the best lens but for a starter at that price I had to get it. Thanks.

Good enough starter lens - I had the Sigma 150-500mm Sports lens before I went for the Sony 200-600mm - good luck buddy

Good enough starter lens - I had the Sigma 150-500mm Sports lens before I went for the Sony 200-600mm - good luck buddy

Cheers lez, hopefully be shooting away to my hearts content, and learning as I go.

Cheers lez, hopefully be shooting away to my hearts content, and learning as I go.

Any questions Dale - drop me a PM - be happy to help an inspiring Wildlife Photographer :)

I shot a few this morning all now posted in the BIRD section

The beast has arrived ! At work tonight, but then got 4 days off to play !!

Only played in house at the moment, but loving the IS on it, suppose to be going out tomorrow.

I had a Sigma 150-500 lens briefly, it was very good. Sold it once I got the 80-400 Nikkor for the D500 (150-500 was PK fit)...

Only remark about the Sigma lens, ensure social distancing when using it.... if someone is invading your personal space when you are using it for birds in flight they get a face full of Sigma lens hood....the Sigmas do extend quite a lot, I mean a lot. I would suggest you get the hang of holding it when it is fully extended.

Enjoy your purchase.

Back