• It should not be attempted

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
As it is coming up to spring there are many birds nesting.....obviously!!

The question is, what is the general etiquette on TP about posting pictures of birds on their nest, or building their nest?

If the birds will not be disturbed in the acquisition of the picture, is it allowed to be posted i.e. with a suitable telephoto lens, hide etc?

or should all nesting pictures be shunned as 'interfering' with wildlife?

see poll above

I dont believe it should be attempted, and besides if you wait for a while you will see the new young birds fledging which will be even better than the nest :p

Last edited:
It is illegal to photograph some species of birds "at or near the nest" without a licence.

I made a post for the taking of pictures of the collection of nesting materials.

However I wouldn't want to disturb them actually building nests, not for the sake of a photo.

Besides it is illegal to disturb schedule 1 birds at their nests, to return to it if found or tell anyone where the nests are unless licensed to do so.

I was lead to believe that if you were wanting a schedule 1 licence, that part of that process along with other stuff is to photograph some of our non protected species in and around the nest site. Also documenting and explaining what fieldcraft was used. I know of at least 8 nests around our house by four different species but they can be enjoyed from a distance.

I think the problem is that some people will intrude into the birds space just to get that important pic.Far to many people have no self restraint and just try to get closer until the bird ends up alarmed.Up here there are only 2 Nuthatch pairs and these are looked on very favourably by photographers. I found both nests as they were building them ( putting mud around the holes and cleaning out ) , which i left and said i would return much later when they are feeding young and i could get them coming to the nest sites from other trees. Im told now that due to people at the nest site and possibly even 1 person looking right into the nest that they have now abandoned the nest site and 1 has found a new site about 20 meters up a tree and the other has begun prospecting over again. I say we need to give the birds distance but we cant trust everyone to do that so safer not to do it at all.

I was sat quietly in a glade in a local wood watching a chiffchaff and after about half an hour, I noticed a pair of blue tits coming and going into an old woodpecker hole quite close to where I was sitting. Once I saw this, I moved a fair bit away so as not have any chance of stressing the birds. May seem overkill to some, but seemd like the right thing to do (y)

I was lead to believe that if you were wanting a schedule 1 licence, that part of that process along with other stuff is to photograph some of our non protected species in and around the nest site. Also documenting and explaining what fieldcraft was used. I know of at least 8 nests around our house by four different species but they can be enjoyed from a distance.

you are right...mate. I think that problems occur when people dont know they'r
schedule 1 birds are, & what is a safe distance to photograph birds that are not
schedule 1.. If you dont know what birds you are allowed to photograph , dont attempt it, also some birds are more tolerant than others...its all down to experience....mark

Personally I don't see a problem with it so long as they are taken from a distance and the birds are not disturbed.

I've a nestbox in our garden which is visible from the house, I've had the camera setup at the window for a couple of days and taken a few shots of the birds (blue tits) coming and going with nest material. At no point have they been disturbed, stopped what they were doing or even been concious of my presence at the window.

I see no harm in continuing so long as they are not disturbed.

They should definitely NOT be disturbed just for the sake of a photograph... and some species require a special licence to go anywhere near with a camera... respect wildlife at such times imhgo... :cautious:

Best way to see them is to get a net box camera... :D

Mine is here, complete with sitting Blue Tit if you want to see it live and in action... > > >

Ven's NestCam

You are welcome to dip in at any time as she has just started laying and currently has four eggs underneath her... ;)

:p

Last edited:
Back