Bird of Prey ID please

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Saw this in the garden the other day and i think its a kestrel, although the mother-in-law disagrees and thinks its some hawk. :cautious: :bonk:
How do you tell the difference between them?
It did'nt stay long just a quick look at the bird table, so by the time i thought about setting the tripod up.......:shake:
Sorry that the quality not being up to this forums high standard, some cracking BoP shots on here (y)

Is it just me or has it only one leg/foot :shrug:

Birdofprey1.jpg

not sure on what but I think its just standing on one leg, the other tucked away

Im guessing sparrow hawk i would say 90% but it could be some other thing like a kestrel hobby merlin ect ect, but im sure someone can do a better job than me !

Yep Its a Sparrow hawk and yep its having a rest on one foot.
Kestrels hovver most of the time, hunting for mice and voles and are occasionally seen sitting on wires etc Sparrowhawks are more arial, rarely hovver usually seen flying low and fast around hedgerows tree lines etc looking for smaller birds, starlings, blackbirds etc
They will occasionally sit and rest around bird tables looking for and easy meal. But I guess that one has recently fed or it would be in the tree "hiding"

I would say your mother in law is right Byrhtnoth....they often are :whistle: :naughty::LOL:

Damm :embarrassed:

Hopefully I will see it again behind a better lens.
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Back