Bird of Prey ID

Name
Ned
Edit My Images
Yes
I was at my parents in Somerset this afternoon when a bird of prey came circling towards us over a field. Initially I thought Kestrel as it was small but as it got closer it was rather larger than a Kestrel and the behaviour wasn't right - soaring a bit like a Buzzard rather than direct flight like a Kestrel and the wing tips didn't look right either. It wasn't a Buzzard either, too small and wrong markings (I think).

Edit, oh also, it went behind the house and when I peer round it had just lifted into a couple-of-wing-beat-hover and then dived down a short way.

I ran to the car and grabbed the camera and this was all I could get given the superzoom lens attached (it's a very heavy crop), any ideas? The only thing I can think of is Goshawk but I've never heard of one around that area.

P6249200-2.jpg

Last edited:
I think a Kestrel......the single dark bar on the end of the tail feathers IMO is strongly indicative

The Goshawk being a forest hunter, surmise unlikely in open skies????

PS just re-read your op , more buzzard like based on size maybe a juvenile buzzard???

Last edited:
Single bar on the tail, wing profile of a falcon, so Kestrel would be my guess.

Kestrel for me two ,they do vary in shape size to a fair degree

Thanks chaps, I think you must be right, I can’t find any alternatives in the book.

I grew up in the countryside and have been seeing these birds pretty much all my life and have never seen one soaring around like this one was.

I'd also say kestrel, but lovely to see. They do seem to be making a bit of a comeback but I still don't see them often enough. Sizewise, it's worth remembering that as with many raptors the female is considerably larger than the male. I've seen kestrels soaring like buzzards, buzzards hovering like kestrels and peregrines flying 'nap of the earth' a few inches above a lane so fast my old Defender could hardly keep up, if anyone knows what that behaviour is all about?

I'd say Kessie too, Gos's have a barred tail, not a single stripe.

Sizewise, it's worth remembering that as with many raptors the female is considerably larger than the male.
Its called Sexual dimorphism ( There, I've been saving that for the right opportunity :D )
Female peregrines are called "Falcons" The Males "Tiercel" meaning one third. As in one third smaller.

if anyone knows what that behaviour is all about?
All birds of Prey are opportunists, Sparrow hawks are also good at hovering, if they spot a ground nesting bird (they will also take mice / voles etc) but the Kestrel is the master at it (y)
Just because peregrines will "ring up" to a few hundred feet, it doesn't mean they always do it.
They will tail chase food if the opportunity arises.

Last edited:
The behaviour shouts kestral, nice to see people think it is from the photo.

Back