Bird photography in Spain

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
All being well we are off for ten days in September to Spain. This aint gonna be no package holiday either :LOL: We got the use of a Ummmm!! :thinking: Dwelling in a small place called Casares situated in the area of Andalucia. Our friends who we are going with mention there are quite a few Vultures about a ten minute walk up into the Mountains which I am well looking forward to seeing. So I was wondering does anybody have any knowledge of any other birds or wildlife I might be able to check out?
Thanks

Last edited:
I have a friend in Ontinyent, not sure if thats anywhere near your place and he talks about a Spanish Imperial Eagle, so keep your eyes open and maybe you'll get a few.

http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13238

This link is on a bird club I visit often and one of the members went to Andalucia so hopefully, his report will give you an idea what to find and where to find them.

I have a friend in Ontinyent, not sure if thats anywhere near your place and he talks about a Spanish Imperial Eagle, so keep your eyes open and maybe you'll get a few.

http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13238

This link is on a bird club I visit often and one of the members went to Andalucia so hopefully, his report will give you an idea what to find and where to find them.

Thanks Joe, that is an impressive list, if I see at leat two of those I will be happy :LOL:

All being well we are off for ten days in September to Spain. This aint gtonna be no package holiday either :LOL: We got the use of a Ummmm!! :thinking: Dwelling in a small place called Casares situated in the area of Andalucia. Our friends who we are going with mention there are quite a few Vultures about a ten minute walk up into the Mountains which I am well looking forward to seeing. So I was wondering does anybody have any knowledge of any other birds or wildlife I might be able to check out?
Thanks

We've just got back from there! :) Well, almost exactly! We were in Cortes De La Frontera which is just North of Casares. There were plenty of beautiful smaller birds and the vultures are brilliant! I didn't take any pictures of them as they were all far too high for me, but sometimes we saw them in groups of up to 20 at a time. I believe they're these ones :

http://www.losgazquez.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/nicks-vulture.JPG

I hope you have a lovely time, it really is the most beautiful place. When we left, we'd had 3 or 4 days at 30 degrees plus - so take your suncream in droves! ;)

Thank you for taking time to respond Megan, I am looking forward to it as it is the first real holiday for about five years, glad you had a good time (y)

When I was there for a few days the week before last (a bit up the coast) there were Marsh Harriers, all sorts of ducks ( on edge of marsh) crested larks, robin type birds, sparrows, blackbirds, greenfinch, goldfinch, hoopees, bee-eaters, greater spotted cuckoo, little white egrets, more sparrows, others builiding a nest in the tree next to the balcony that I did not identify but greenfinch sized but not a finch, and these were all seen without actually going looking for them as it was in the high 30's and too hot to go anywhere :D

Have a great time and don't forget your sunhat

Thank you for taking time to respond Megan, I am looking forward to it as it is the first real holiday for about five years, glad you had a good time (y)

Fabulous! It was our first holiday in 3 years, so I know how you feel! (well, almost!)

Have a wonderful time :)

:thinking::naughty:Do they have Robins out there and knowing you you will forget your camera :D
Regards
Richard

When I was there for a few days the week before last (a bit up the coast) there were Marsh Harriers, all sorts of ducks ( on edge of marsh) crested larks, robin type birds, sparrows, blackbirds, greenfinch, goldfinch, hoopees, bee-eaters, greater spotted cuckoo, little white egrets, more sparrows, others builiding a nest in the tree next to the balcony that I did not identify but greenfinch sized but not a finch, and these were all seen without actually going looking for them as it was in the high 30's and too hot to go anywhere :D

Have a great time and don't forget your sunhat
Thanks Christine (y)
:thinking::naughty:Do they have Robins out there and knowing you you will forget your camera :D
Regards
Richard

Many a thing said in jest Rich :LOL::LOL:

I can see Casares from my Balcony, plenty of birds here, problem is getting close to them.
Taken from the Village.

DPP_00042.JPG

Taken Casares Costa.

1B2Q32831.JPG

Casares Costa again.

7S9K1864.JPG

Bee Eaters are here in large numbers at the moment as well

Last edited:
Thanks Mitch, great set (y) I will take some Honey with me ;)
Honey = Bee`s
Bee`s = Birds :thinking:

Last edited:
Hi rich
Drop me a pm. I'm on my phone at the moment.
Spend a lot of spare time in spain due to being born there:)
We will alow be going to the area from bank holiday weekend for ten days.
You want to head to tarifa for a couple of days as well. You will get 20+ raptots species in one day. Last year got 25 and hundreds of grifons, some eygptians. Got lots of spots and some names of locals that can help.
Speak soon
Martin

Ospreys are also cloe by;)

Slight crop taken with a 300mm F2.8
Osprey4-1.jpg

Last edited:
look out for black kites and montagu harriers too

We were there last year at migration time, and theres so much to look out for. We found a guy who put us onto all sorts of things - I'll try and dig out his details for you

Back