Bird photography - Nikon body

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
with a good use D800 now selling for just over £1k and a D800E not much more, the D750 at £1,250 and the D810 at less than £1,800 - any consensus yet on the most suitable for bird photography.

What I am after is better high ISO performance on cropped images and quick spot AF on BIF

The reports seem to indicate the D750

with a good use D800 now selling for just over £1k and a D800E not much more, the D750 at £1,250 and the D810 at less than £1,800 - any consensus yet on the most suitable for bird photography.

What I am after is better high ISO performance on cropped images and quick spot AF on BIF

1D MV IV, Get changed. End of!!

1D MV IV, Get changed. End of!!

I have been tempted by Canon - their 600mm lens and 400mm f5.6 ……

the responses will be interesting not that Canon has been thrown into the mix

Last edited:
Depends what your priorities are. The D810 will offer you bigger files to work with for cropping and higher max shutter speed, but will be slower FPS compared to the D750, 5 and 6.5 FPS (althoughthe D810 FPS second can be increased to 7 FPS by a battery grip, I dont think the D750 does though, again if IIRC). I think they both use the same AF system and my D750 would focus in the dark. ISO ranges are the same IIRC. Also, with the D810 will you need to budget for a new computer with the bigger files??

To counter Brash suggestion would a D4s be the ultimate Nikon birding camera, but it's a bigger increase in price.

Go to your Nikon Pro dealer and have a play with them and see which best suits your needs.

Depends what your priorities are. The D810 will offer you bigger files to work with for cropping and higher max shutter speed, but will be slower FPS compared to the D750, 5 and 6.5 FPS (althoughthe D810 FPS second can be increased to 7 FPS by a battery grip, I dont think the D750 does though, again if IIRC). I think they both use the same AF system and my D750 would focus in the dark. ISO ranges are the same IIRC. Also, with the D810 will you need to budget for a new computer with the bigger files??

To counter Brash suggestion would a D4s be the ultimate Nikon birding camera, but it's a bigger increase in price.

Go to your Nikon Pro dealer and have a play with them and see which best suits your needs.

D4s a bit pixel light for cropping.

I don't know why you wouldn't use a D7100 and long lens. Bit more reach and big res files. But I know naff all about wildlife shooting. Either body will be fine.

I don't know why you wouldn't use a D7100 and long lens. Bit more reach and big res files. But I know naff all about wildlife shooting. Either body will be fine.

Good point about D4s file size, but I mentioned it as an alternative to the Canon suggested by Brash. Are they both 16MP?

I think he has the D7100 already, and I think he wants a change from his D700 for better high ISO ?

Last edited:
Hi Bill. I use a D800E & find it great for the ability to crop in afterwards, but it's probably not the fastest AF & FPS could be better. It aint bad in lower light, but not as good as the D4.

My mate uses the D4 & it's fantastic! (some of his pics; https://www.flickr.com/photos/andypritchard/ )
I guess the D4s would be an improvement?

It will also depend on the main lens you're using too I guess?

Low light & full frame obviously seem to work the best, but what about waiting for the new D7200 to see what the results are like?

I have the 750 and 800,both have their good points and are a good combo.

Steve - I have a D7100, had it for a few years - I use it most of the time for bird shots, except sometimes with the 600mm when I use my D700

If anything I suffer from noise in crops - OK you expect noise in darks, (especially shadows), and in the background but I find I get this at say ISO 800 and using noise reduction looses details.

I'm relatively happy with the D7100/D700 - certainly the D700 for general photography - I find it ideal - but bird shots - always looking for perfection - the reports on the D750 seem good, (apart from the couple of launch quibbles) - so I'm tending towards that, but D800E's used seem to come up regularly at £1100 .. so I'm tempted in that direction - obviously there is NOT a new Nikon DX semi pro, so any "upgrade" would be FX

Hi Bill. I use a D800E & find it great for the ability to crop in afterwards, but it's probably not the fastest AF & FPS could be better. It aint bad in lower light, but not as good as the D4.

My mate uses the D4 & it's fantastic! (some of his pics; https://www.flickr.com/photos/andypritchard/ )
I guess the D4s would be an improvement?

It will also depend on the main lens you're using too I guess?

Low light & full frame obviously seem to work the best, but what about waiting for the new D7200 to see what the results are like?

Is there a new D7200 coming out? - I'll "google" it

Is there a new D7200 coming out? - I'll "google" it

Can't say for definite, Bill, but Nikon were giving free grips with the D7100 around Xmas (may be still?) so presumed there would be an upgrade soon.

It isn't looking like a pro DX is likely now, as I think with the high MP's on full frame they sorta think they have bird/wildlife users covered?

Biggest issue with the d750/800/810/5D3 is the relatively slow FPS which can be a limiting factor. I know that people will say well look at these taken with this and those taken with that body all with less FPS that the likes of a D4S/1DX and yes there is some great stuff out there taken with these bodies. But sometimes you just can't beat 12/14 FPS.

Surprised that Nikon don't have a body lower in it price range that can do 9/10 FPS even if it meant adding a battery grip to it.

From what I read from the Nikonistas on here the D750 seems a pretty hot bit of kit all round.

to be fair Steve, the 750 kicks the 800 firmly in the ass on af speed. Something Bill will use a lot. But the resolution and Dr of the 800 is underwear dampening orgasmic.

Remember the buffer size on the D810, it's still faster than the D750 on continuous mode. File sizes are not an issue you can buy a 2TB USB drive for monkey dust these days.

Thanks All

- I suppose the best value for money is a grey D750, has all I need and more plus faster processing on my "older" Mac's ………. back in the UK soon for a couple of weeks so that's the time to get one ……. but I'm still rather attached to the D700

the resolution and Dr of the 800 is underwear dampening orgasmic.

Couldn't agree more! :plus1:

I simply love my D800 for Wildlife Photography best camera I have ever owned or used for Wildlife Photography by far. A lot of people say the AF isn't the best which admittedly it isn't the fastest, but using it with my 400mm f/2.8 and limiter on I have never found any focusing issues and even kept focus fast birds in flight like Kingfishers for example, the Quality of the D8x0 Cameras is simply breathtaking to say the least. Its slow fps isn't the best but its all about the timing, if your good with the camera it won't matter if you have 4 or 12fps your still get superb images coming out of it

Last edited:
Don't agree with it doesn't matter if it's 4 or 12 FPS Joe. Yes you see great images from low FPS bodies but when photographing birds with a fast wing stroke faster is better and always will be. If the frames are sharp more frames means more choice.

Don't agree with it doesn't matter if it's 4 or 12 FPS Joe. Yes you see great images from low FPS bodies but when photographing birds with a fast wing stroke faster is better and always will be. If the frames are sharp more frames means more choice.

Yes of cause you will, I was saying in my post about the fps not relating to how good your images will turn out, meaning if you have a low fps body it doesn't mean you can't capture great moments via good timing

Last edited:
If you wait for the next camera to come out, you'll never have a camera!

semi agree but Nikon have not released a semi semi pro DX since the D7100 ..... it all goes back to a replacement for the D300 .. which has never come

Canon have

Last edited:
semi agree but Nikon have not released a semi semi pro DX since the D7100 ..... it all goes back to a replacement for the D300 .. which has never come

Canon have
Well I semi agree with this too, but as a D300s owner if I'd waited for a 'D400' to come out I'd be waiting forever it seems.

Well I semi agree with this too, but as a D300s owner if I'd waited for a 'D400' to come out I'd be waiting forever it seems.

the same here - I still use my D300 and realise how effective it is in good conditions

the same here - I still use my D300 and realise how effective it is in good conditions
Touche. I refuse to get rid of mine, I love it far too much! The D610 hasn't gained the same feeling... Anyway going wildly off topic now.

looking at price/performance/value for money the D750 seems to come out on top

but a low clicks D800 for £1,100 and there are a few for sale with a used photo dealer with less than 2k clicks .. is appealing not only because of the performance but also because of the UI, size and build quality that is similar to the D700/D300

but a low clicks D800 for £1,100 and there are a few for sale with a used photo dealer with less than 2k clicks .. is appealing not only because of the performance but also because of the UI, size and build quality that is similar to the D700/D300

Get a D800, will be a killer on your 600 + as you like to use the 300mm f/4 a lot it will help with cropping and holding lots of detail in the image

I've talked to various people, including working wildlife photographers who have said along the lines of "If it's something I know I'll absolutely need speed, I'll take the D4(s), but otherwise it's the D8x0. Quality over quantity of images".

For what it's worth, of the five photos in the bird category of last year's WPotY: one 1DIV, one D800, one 5D3, one D3s, one D4 and a D7000.

I've talked to various people, including working wildlife photographers who have said along the lines of "If it's something I know I'll absolutely need speed, I'll take the D4(s), but otherwise it's the D8x0. Quality over quantity of images".

For what it's worth, of the five photos in the bird category of last year's WPotY: one 1DIV, one D800, one 5D3, one D3s, one D4 and a D7000.

Well I've talked to several semi pro and pro wildlife photographers and none of them use a D8x0. They all use D4, D4S, 1DX,s.

Which proves...... Absolutely nothing !!

Back