Birding

Name
terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.
I want to take pictures of birds!! I love going up to Norfolk, around Titchwell, and take pics, Used to digiscope but changed over to DSLR (D90).
Please indulge me...Dont know whether to go Sigma 150-500, NIkon 80-400 or use a TC with my Nikon 55-300, I understand about about the Nikon 55-300 being slow and maybe a TC not working perfectly, but some people it has worked for! OR purchase a s/h 80-400 and crop the pics, or go for the sigma 150-500. Obviously, if I had lots of money........well that would be different. Would love a bit of advice/help.
tel

Hi Terry and welcome, I cannot give you too much info myself other than go for the longest you can afford. A lot of people have and use the 150-500 with great results. Have asked the Mods to move this to the talk Nature section as you might well get a few more replies.

I had a 80-400. Optically superb, but very slow to focus. If you know where your subject will land or it is not moving fast, you`ll be ok. But It is very slow compared to AFS lenses.

Sigma 150-500, had one for a week on test before giving it to a mate. In that week it was apparent that it was faster than the Nikon to focus, optically pretty good as well. Quite impressive in all aspects, it did lose a bit of quality at 450-500, but that is expected really.

If you can run to it, try a 300 F4 AFS with a 1.4 tc or even a 1.7 as well, great combo.

Back