Wales Birds-in-flight opportunities in N. Wales?

Name
Jaco
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Leave coming up shortly.. 2 weeks split roughly equal between Porthmadog, Conwy, Lake Vyrnwy. We've never travelled in these parts before and look forward to the experience & scenery.
The Q is, do I haul along a long lens & big tripod? I enjoy sitting on my backside all day long if there are opportunities for in flight shots, but when it comes to packing the car the space needs to be considered.
Will appreciate advice from local experts..

Thanks
Jaco

Its about 50 miles from Porthmadog and 40miles from Conwy but the RSPB reserve at South Stack ( https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/south-stack-cliffs/ ) could give some opportunities.

There is no charge for the reserve but there is a charge for the car park for non-RSPB members.

Given a good day there is plenty of room to set up a tripod on the cliffs. Due to its orientation up to about 2pm will probably give more chances - less likely to be looking into the sun.

Dave

Plenty of places up here for b.i.f angel bay on the little orme ,they will fly by at eye level , plus the limestone pavement on the great orme , rhos on sea prom , plenty of raptors up on Denbigh moors . Only downside at this time of year is lots of tourists

Plenty of places up here for b.i.f angel bay on the little orme ,they will fly by at eye level , plus the limestone pavement on the great orme , rhos on sea prom , plenty of raptors up on Denbigh moors . Only downside at this time of year is lots of tourists

I've seen plenty of Buzzards on the Denbigh-Pentrefoelas Road, just after Groes. Only snag on that road is there are few possibilities to stop safely, and it's prime motorcycling country as well. Seen some buzzards over Denbigh, especially over Whitchurch and over the Quarry. According to Faceache Denbigh Matters Sparrowhawks also seem to be quite 'active'

I'll have to check out Llandudno, been a while since I've been there (more regular at Colwyn Bay and Cambrian Photography) especially since Queen's Hotel closed (they did excellent and inexpensive lunches), and I want to go to the RSPB at Conwy too.

The point at rhos on sea looks quite good at the moment with the high mid day spring tides this weekend .. might pop down in the morning

Just got back over 200 shots to plough through , if the weather had been kinder I would have waited for the tide to drop for the returning birds ,but far to hot

Back