Birds in stables (house martins?) Suggestions needed.

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, in some stables I frequent (yes, just like going to the pub), there are loads of birds nesting on the rafters. Probably house martins but eye sight is not brilliant and knowledge of birds even less so. I have tried photographing them using high ISO and the noise was just too much. If I was to use flash (Metz 64 gadget) what would you do? Diffuse it, use it straight on, bounce it (on what????) ? I could try all tricks but my primary concern is not to scare and stress the feathery models so I do not want to experiment. And yes, they fly outside too, and low enough, and too damn fast :dummy:

Cheers

PS. If I am asking in the wrong topic please say so and/or report my post.
EDIT. Ha ... balz ... there should have been a photo here to appear amongst the other photos.

Last edited:
I'd agree, from the habitat and the behaviour described I think they're most likely swallows. You've done the right thing not wanting to disturb them, which is good as it keeps you the right side of the law too. :) From time to time during the day you might see swallows perching on overhead telephone or power lines (if there area any of those in the locality) to have a rest, so you might be able to get a photo or two with a telephoto lens then? You're lucky to have 'loads' of swallows, numbers seem to be noticeably down in my area this year, which is a real shame.

Thank you all and thanks to whoever+mods for moving the thread.

Yes, swallows. When I saw one flying yesterday it was yellowie colour underneath and I thought swallows (given there was one here recently). But I failed to get a good look at the tail.
OK. No flash. Big tripod will come out and 70-300 zoom in the barn. I always knew I would find a need for a 2.8 lens that I have not got yet... For outside I might as well test the Tamron 150-600.

Swallows have a red chin and twin type tails, Martins lack the red and have a standard fan type tail if thats any help.

The colouring is different apart from the (tail) shape - the swallows' colours are kind of smoky whilst the martins' are more sprucely clean-cut.

Martins (house martins, that is) glue their pod-like nests to walls, typically under eaves. Swallows tend to build on ledges under cover where there's free access in and out.

If you know a friend with a modern high power LED flashlight they are bonkers powerful these days.

Point it at the ceiling of any building and get ISO down under control.

A flash might scare them more if that is a concern because it is a short sharp high intensity light.

Back