Birds of prey photography day....

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a voucher from my birthday last year for a photography day at the Gloucestershire Barn Owl Centre. However, since receiving it I have downsized my kit from DSLR to m4/3.

I now have a Panasonic Lumix G3 with the following lenses - 20mm, 14-45, 100-300. Am I likely to find my kit lacking or unable to extract the best from this day? I can imagine feeling a bit like a poor relation with other togs there with pro-DSLRs and monster prime lenses!

100-300 should be fine on 4/3. I wouldn't waste time worrying about anyone with top-end DSLRs and big teles at a photography day like that - they obviously have no idea how to use it or they wouldn't be there ;)

I wouldn't waste time worrying about anyone with top-end DSLRs and big teles at a photography day like that - they obviously have no idea how to use it or they wouldn't be there ;)

Bit of a strange comment. Either top-end users will know how to get the best out of their kit and those that don't attend these type of days to learn more about doing so.

Regardless of kit though I expect most people go to see the fantastic birds on show.

Think its a case of NOT how big your equipment is - its how you use it that counts...

:thinking: :nono: lets not go down that route - its rude :razz: :p

100-300 on 4/3 will be perfect. When I did some BIF stuff with my 55-250 on a 450d the range didn't cause any problems only issue I had was slow focus and slow write to SD card. The only way to improve all of those issues was to spend $ on lots of 'pro' gear which would have been completely unnecessary because I came way with a dozen or so shots I was really happy with.

Have fun!

You will find Vince very accommodating to your needs, you can rest assured that you will not come away from there without having had some great photo opportunities, both in-flight and perched.

. The only way to improve all of those issues was to spend $ on lots of 'pro' gear

Have fun!

not really - my 20D gives excellent fast tracking autofocus (assuming its used with a usm lens) and 5 fps - this is also true of the 30, 40 and 50 (and i assume 60 though ive never used one of those) - most of which can be picked up for peanuts.

100-300 should be fine on 4/3. I wouldn't waste time worrying about anyone with top-end DSLRs and big teles at a photography day like that - they obviously have no idea how to use it or they wouldn't be there ;)

Wrong. Just plain wrong.

These days are for anyone who want an opportunity to photograph birds of prey. For people who obviously have no idea how to use their pro gear... well consider this. It takes a long time to find, set up and be ready to photograph such birds in the wild. It make sense to get the chance to practise in controlled circumstances.

I have a 100-300 f4 and its a superb lens for just that type of photography

look forward to seeing your shots in due course

Les (y)

Back