Birmingham, Architecture + Landscape

Name
Raj
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, as the title states, just looking for some decent buildings or monuments to shoot in Birmingham. Any places you guys have shot personally? Or recommend for a good shoot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if it's not too much to ask, if any of you guys are heading out one night, if I could tag along. Thanks in advance.

No specifics, but you could try a walk starting at St Philips Cathedral, down Colmore Row to the council offices, into the square with the Chamberlain Mounument and the Art Gallery. Then walk though the through Paradise Place to Broad St, then through the ICC into Brindley Place where you can then go down to Gas works basin and then up through the Mailbox. You should be able to find a few places to shoot in that lot.

Raj, this might not help as I left Birmingham many years ago but I used to like to shoot in Hockley and the Jewelery Quarter, especially down at the Pitsford Street end near the Victorian cemetery. I am assuming that is all still there? Keep meaning to get back there sometime, although it is a trek from where I live now.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, will probably try out some of these locations at some point during the week. Do you recommend daytime or night time photography for these places?

The library, mailbox and cube and current hotspots in addition to the key spots mentioned already. All of which are great

Raj, this might not help as I left Birmingham many years ago but I used to like to shoot in Hockley and the Jewelery Quarter, especially down at the Pitsford Street end near the Victorian cemetery. I am assuming that is all still there? Keep meaning to get back there sometime, although it is a trek from where I live now.

Yes its all still there...great area to shoot! (y)

If you are going to walk around Birmingham with an expensive camera, definitely go during the day and depending on how expensive your kit is you may want to take some security professionals with you.
Not saying Birmingham is rough but in some parts even the rats carry flick knives!

If you are going to walk around Birmingham with an expensive camera, definitely go during the day and depending on how expensive your kit is you may want to take some security professionals with you.
Not saying Birmingham is rough but in some parts even the rats carry flick knives!

Raj, wouldn't take the above advise too much to heart...! I have worked in and around B'ham for many years, I would not have any issue with walking round with my camera gear at any time of day or night.

If you get stuck and want some company, drop me a PM and we'll sort out a night of touring the night sites.!!!(y)

Cheers
Waz

I was only kidding

But parts of Brum are a tad shady, you can't deny that
Would you walk around lozells at night with a grands worth of camera?

keyrex said:
I was only kidding

But parts of Brum are a tad shady, you can't deny that
Would you walk around lozells at night with a grands worth of camera?

I drive through lozells every night, my wife works at the healthcare centre there and even she says that walking round she feels safe.

I agree every city has a 'shady' side but its all about being sensible. I think you'll find taking night time architecture photos in these type of places, might attract some attention, but a quick explanation and joke sees people on their way.

All cities around the world have shady sides to them that's a fact. The rule is just common sense at the end of the day.

Birmingham is a beautiful city. Everywhere you go is just marvellous. I only wish I had a better camera to take better photographs of the incredible scenery.
Amber.

Hotfoot to Birmingham asap - the German Market offers lots of opportunities for great photos.

We also enjoy the areas around the Symphony Hall particulary Gas Street Basin at any time of year.

Back