Birmingham for a few days

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
This weekend meeting with some 'tinternet geeks, are there any must not miss photo oportunities? I've been there before but will have more time to wander this time.

The bullring yes I've seen it in passing though never been into it.

I've been dragged :puke: round the bull ring more times than I would care to mention by my wife :( . why she thinks i like shopping for womens clothes with her I'll never know.

There is an apple store though if thats of any interest to you.

Anyway getting back to photo op's

The church (St Martins i think) next to the bull ring might be a good shot as well, especially if you can get the contrast between the new build and the old church.

Yeah it is St Martins (my dad use to be a choir boy there *sniggers* ) I saw a shot of the new looking Bull Ring taken from what I think must have been the tower of the church, its looked pretty spectacular.

There was/is also a large wheel near Broad Street in Brum, it is right next to a glass fronted building and gives some amazing shots if the weather is good.

Also near to that is the Canal (though officially you need a permit etc) but its pretty down there, also LOADS of pubs/bars around that area :D

What is the alpha tower?

/edit sok I found it :)

Yeah it is St Martins (my dad use to be a choir boy there *sniggers* ) I saw a shot of the new looking Bull Ring taken from what I think must have been the tower of the church, its looked pretty spectacular.

There was/is also a large wheel near Broad Street in Brum, it is right next to a glass fronted building and gives some amazing shots if the weather is good.

Also near to that is the Canal (though officially you need a permit etc) but its pretty down there, also LOADS of pubs/bars around that area :D

I think they have taken the millenium wheel down now Jimmy, but it is still nice around the canal area.

Hmm, don't mean to worry you, but I really wouldn't suggest taking your camera into town.. There aren't really any great photo opportunities in Birmingham.. Just the bullring and possible centenary square, where there are a few nice buildings and then if you keep walking (this is all signposted) you will come to the canals.. You could get some nice shots down there.

Birmingham is not a nice place to live :(

Birmingham is not a nice place to live :(
Sad ... but true!

Ive tried to think of some decent places for you but alas I dont go into Birmingham anymore.
If youre with a group youll be ok but I certainly wouldnt go wandering around the city centre with expensive equipment on my own.
My son wanted me to go take some pics of St Martins church for him ... my answer ... not printable on a public forum!

Sad ... but true!

Ive tried to think of some decent places for you but alas I dont go into Birmingham anymore.
If youre with a group youll be ok but I certainly wouldnt go wandering around the city centre with expensive equipment on my own.
My son wanted me to go take some pics of St Martins church for him ... my answer ... not printable on a public forum!

Where abouts in Brum are you?

If you really do want to go shooting around town of the bullring, church and stuf (you could get some nice shots) then I would:

• Definately not use a tripod
  • Where a baseball cap and a hood (you'll mix in and they will think you're one of them)
  • Use the smallest lens you have, telephoto lenses will just atrract attention to you
  • Go with a group if you can
  • Earlier the better (9am early)

Take your camera I say.....Birmingham City Centre in the day is no different to any other City Centres, in fact the City has got so cosmopolitian of recent years you and your camera equipment should feel very safe!

CCTV cameras fitted on every street corner also for "peace of mind".

The wheel reffered to in a previous thread has moved on about two months ago but still plenty of modern and historic architecture to have a go at.

Get yourself to the top of New Street and take the New "Beetham Tower" and also the "Hyatt Hotel" on Broad Street.

Take the Selfridges shot (everyone does) and it can have some very good results, just be very careful if taking images inside the shopping areas, I did hear of a local club photographer getting challenged recently by a member of the security staff on what her motives were.....what a sad society we now live in, but that is another discussion for another day.

Enjoy your day there......I am sure you wont de disappointed and I look forward to seeing your images on here for review.

Richard (btw I DO NOT work for the Birmingham Tourist Board, I live 20 miles away and have found after all these years I quite like the City).

Nath - When I went to school the distance between where you and live was about 4 mile so I guess that I am qualified to comment.

Do you take any photographs around Bromsgrove at all?

I live in Wolves but had a very misspent youth amongst the wildlife of Birmingham!
Ive always found it a vibrant place but last time I was there I actually felt an underlying uneasiness as I walked around.

Richard, I think the Beetham Tower was one place of interest that I was thinking of but didnt know its name.
Be interested to see the pics too .... see if you can tempt me back to my roots!

I am fairly new to this site but see that various parts of the country arrange joint visits i.e. the London one this last weekend, perhaps if enough interest this is something that could be arranged to entice you back into the city to have a good look at the photography potential, this way you will hopefully also feel safer with other people with you.

Some good stuff to photograph leading up to Xmas as they have a very colourful German Street Market in the pedestrian areas.

Nath - When I went to school the distance between where you and live was about 4 mile so I guess that I am qualified to comment.

Do you take any photographs around Bromsgrove at all?

Nah not really, Bromsgrove is one bus ride away from me and not all that exciting, have you?.. I actually live south Birmingham but put Bromsgrove because it's close to me without actually saying where I live. I don't really want my exact location on the internet.

Even though Redditch is quite a small place, we have loads of members from Redditch!

Back