Bishops Palace, Wells

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
One from a little walkabout during the blue hour a few nights ago. If my cloning skills were better I'd like to lose some of the posts, but this is the best I can do with it at present.

C&C Welcome.

Bishops Palace by Paul, on Flickr

I like that Paul. I dont normally like straight-on shots, centre-positioned. I know what you mean about the posts, especially that centre one but at least it is a natural capture.

Did you shoot on a tripod, image looks a tiny bit blurred which would account for a handheld shot. If you did have a tripod, then if you had positioned the tripod higher, the posts would not have interfered with the building (except those immediately in front of it). Mirror lockup on and wired trigger would eliminate any movement (also turn off your lens stabilisation if it has it enabled)

If you didn't have a tripod, a shot on the path to the right using the posts as a leading line may also have worked. Aside from that, I do like it.

I like the exposure on this.

Might I suggest you use this photograph to start learning about cloning? I say that as it looks a perfect candidate. Cloning takes time, especially when you're starting off but after you've fiddled with a few photographs you do get quicker. The centre post for example. I think when I started that would have taken me nearly 10 minutes to do properly. Nowadays I'd like to think that would be less than a minute.

(And, to save me from some possible flak :whistle: :) it is best to get the composition correct in the camera but an image like this does not make it possible.)

I like that Paul. I dont normally like straight-on shots, centre-positioned. I know what you mean about the posts, especially that centre one but at least it is a natural capture.

Did you shoot on a tripod, image looks a tiny bit blurred which would account for a handheld shot. If you did have a tripod, then if you had positioned the tripod higher, the posts would not have interfered with the building (except those immediately in front of it). Mirror lockup on and wired trigger would eliminate any movement (also turn off your lens stabilisation if it has it enabled)

If you didn't have a tripod, a shot on the path to the right using the posts as a leading line may also have worked. Aside from that, I do like it.

I'd be amazed if this was handheld for 30 secs! :)

Nice shot, not to keen on the strong vignette though.

Good timing within the blue hour

Such a shame about that centre post juuuust cutting into the doorway, I don't think the others are that distracting. Love the colour of the sky and the tree silhouettes.

Thanks for the replies all,

I did everything except switching off IS, and I didn't realise this made a big difference - I will certainly do this in future, thanks!

I like the exposure on this.

Might I suggest you use this photograph to start learning about cloning? I say that as it looks a perfect candidate. Cloning takes time, especially when you're starting off but after you've fiddled with a few photographs you do get quicker. The centre post for example. I think when I started that would have taken me nearly 10 minutes to do properly. Nowadays I'd like to think that would be less than a minute.

(And, to save me from some possible flak :whistle: :) it is best to get the composition correct in the camera but an image like this does not make it possible.)

I will be using this to practice, I already had a couple of attempts but got frustrated.

What is your approach to start cloning? - Lightroom or PS? I have CC so have the option. Is it best to use a large-ish brush with feather so as not to get the harsh obvious outline of the cloned area?

What is your approach to start cloning? - Lightroom or PS?
Photoshop, any day of the week. You can try in Lightroom but it will soon drive you bananas from the slow reaction and inflexibility.

Usually best to use a small brush and to copy from different areas to prevent a pattern forming. Depends on the image to be honest. Good thing to get some practice in.

Back