Bit of a Mix

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, its been awhile since i last posted. Since having our second child (Maddie) my time has been focused on other things. As shes getting older now im getting some more time to myself. So i thought id share some butterfly shots from Stratford Butterfly Farm which i visited the other day and a few from last year (some of which you may have seen already).

All with the MPe-65 and full flash except the robber which was a mixture of natural light and flash. All shots handheld with the robberfly shot needing a beanbag to steady the camera as it was natural light.

4354385052_6b4ccaa971.jpg

2 - X4 Life size, single shot at f13.
4353135644_975c33c613.jpg

4338409455_df8b099a32.jpg

4328205977_041fc1fc82.jpg

4325680691_8cd9ce448c.jpg

MPe-65 natural light/flash with a gold reflector to light the shadows. Braced on a Beanbag.
3612276638_2fd00a99c5.jpg

Last edited:
Great set.

Can I ask what flash you're using with the MPe-65 ?

Thanks for that. I've had an MPe-65 for a few weeks but have had limited results as I've no flash.

Thanks for that. I've had an MPe-65 for a few weeks but have had limited results as I've no flash.

Flash really is a must to get the shutter speeds up as i shoot 100% of my shots handheld. When i first used mine i had a 430ex speedlite on an off shoe cord which i held at the front of the lens, was a bit tricky but gave good results.

Flash really is a must to get the shutter speeds up as i shoot 100% of my shots handheld. When i first used mine i had a 430ex speedlite on an off shoe cord which i held at the front of the lens, was a bit tricky but gave good results.

That's what I've discovered. There's some posts of the pics i did on here somewhere but I ended up using a tripod and testing it out on some dead beasties lit with a spotlight on the kitchen worktop lol

I only have the lens on loan - but would certainly invest in a suitable flash if i was to keep it.

Last edited:
Fantastic set - I like #5, something a bit different (y)

Hey welcome back Alistair, congrats on your second child Mate. Stunning shots as always. Did anything happen about the Exbury exhibition?

Back