Bit of a sad day

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I have asked for a quote for all my Nikon camera gear. I am getting old and my arthritic fingers can no longer cope with a D810 and it's associated massive lenses. A few weeks ago I bought a Fuji X100V and am very pleased with it as it does a lot of what little I do with my Nikon gear (street, landscapes, close-up) and more to the point, it goes out with me whereas with the Nikon I have to decide to take it with me as an activity. I have had Nikon since a few weeks after I started photography in the early 70's (my first camera was a Zenit E) and have moved through my own B&W processing to digital starting with a Nikon E, then, FE2, FM2n D5000, D7000 and finally to the D810. I have tried Nikon compacts but didn't like them for various reasons but the Fuji has finally made up my mind for me. If the price is right, the Nikon stuff is gone. :sorry::nikon: but I also :fuji: now.

the Fuji has finally made up my mind for me. If the price is right, the Nikon stuff is gone. :sorry::nikon: but I also :fuji: now.

A sad day indeed, (or maybe not) I've used Nikon cameras for over 40 years, and I still use my 40 year old 55mm f2.8 micro-nikkor. But I bought a Fuji x100s a few years ago (to add to my Nikons) and love everything about it.

My "go to" lens has always been a 35mm (or equivalent in roll film and 5x4) so the 35mm equivalent suits me well, I like not having to think about what lens to use or where to turn the zoom. I like not having to think about what camera and lenses to take out, and I like not having to lug a big bag around. I like the offset eyepiece and I like the knobs and dials as I can easily look down and see all my settings.

To be frank, most of the time I still carry a bag of Nikon gear (and tripod), but days out with just the Fuji are always incredibly enjoyable, and working within the limits of the Fuji add to the experience.

Enjoy :)

I went from a Nikon D500 to a Fuji XE-3 because of the size and weight issues.

Very happy.

Good luck with the Fuji and this place is good for selling old Nikon gear. Fuji camera's certainly have their following

Not going to sell piecemeal though, now I've made the decision I want it all gone at once.

Was forced into downsizing myself after heart failure 18 months ago ,changed to Olympus my new long range birding setup weighs in at 2kg and gives superb results .no regrets at all

Life goes on just adapt as it looks like you allready have :cool:

Thank you all for your kind replies.

It's a sad day if health and increasing age impinge on life and hobbies but if the sad day reference is because you're moving away from Nikon sorry but I'd say, get over it.

Nikon like other manufacturers care little about you other than as a consumer and why should they. If they see a more profitable way to go they'll take it with little thought about your past loyalty. See the various mount changes (maybe not Nikon here) the move from MF to AF, from RF to SLR, SLR to digital and DSLR to mirrorless, etc.

I really can't buy too much into brand loyalty and I don't see why I should. I am for buying British to keep people here in jobs and the tax revenue coming in but none of this kit is made here so British jobs and tax towards the NHS etc is hardly affected if I/you switch from one Japanese company making kit in Vietnam to another Japanese company making kit in Thailand.

It's time for you to move on from Nikon to something that suits you better. Good for you :D You should do so with a happy heart and not a thought for Nikon. IMO :D

BTW. I had a Nikon SLR for decades and eventually gave it away when I went digital.

The good thing is that you are carrying on with photography. Surely there's a few things the fuji will not be as good but for 90% of the stuff it's the photographer that matter and having the gear with you ready to shoot. Best of luck.

OMG
You'd think someone had died...

I'm just acknowledging and being appreciative of everyone's comments the way I was brought up to do. I still send thank you cards if I stay at someone's house.

I’ve been a Nikon man for over 30 years. Good luck with the Fuji and please post up your sales list in the relevant section of the forum as some of us are in ‘buying’ mode

Well, the price was agreed, the equipment was packed, the courier was booked and all was well with the world...until I changed my mind! After a discussion with my son I've decided to keep it all. As he says, I don't need the money, I don't need the space and apart from the batteries, it doesn't go off and the batteries will be available for years. So I may hardly use it again but at least it is still here if I do. So, I am still a Nikon (and a Fuji) owner.

Well, the price was agreed, the equipment was packed, the courier was booked and all was well with the world...until I changed my mind! After a discussion with my son I've decided to keep it all. As he says, I don't need the money, I don't need the space and apart from the batteries, it doesn't go off and the batteries will be available for years. So I may hardly use it again but at least it is still here if I do. So, I am still a Nikon (and a Fuji) owner.
Result!

Sorry to hear about your arthritis, it can be very frustrating when your body starts to pack up on you... all those millions of years of evolution and we're still not very well made! So keep your chin up, there are plenty of folk who feel your pain and frustration at not being as agile or mobile as they once were.

I think you've probably made the right choice for the moment in keeping your kit, on good days you can probably still enjoy your D850 using a smaller lens and putting it all in auto. There should be no shame in doing that either, apparently Martin Parr often shoots in 'Programme' mode on his Canon 5D iv, and if it's good enough for him when taking street and documentary type photos.

I wish you all the best, and much success, whatever camera you are using. (y)

I go through this but be aware that the gear could possibly age, plastics can degrade and some become sticky, electronics can crumble and internal batteries can lose the will to live. Maybe it'd be an idea to keep the main battery topped up and fire off a few shots now and again just to keep things moving.

I do try to force myself to make a decision and move things on though as even though you seem to have an affinity for the kit sadly as time marches on and takes its toll on both the kit and its owner keeping things that either aren't used any more or even can't be used any more just begins to make less and less sense.

I go through this but be aware that the gear could possibly age, plastics can degrade and some become sticky, electronics can crumble and internal batteries can lose the will to live. Maybe it'd be an idea to keep the main battery topped up and fire off a few shots now and again just to keep things moving.

I do try to force myself to make a decision and move things on though as even though you seem to have an affinity for the kit sadly as time marches on and takes its toll on both the kit and its owner keeping things that either aren't used any more or even can't be used any more just begins to make less and less sense.

I'm 66, I'm pretty sure that most of it will outlast me. We have dogs, we have had them all our lives really and I have outlived all of them so far. Our two present dogs are twelve and six years old and who outlives whom is starting to become a bit of a lottery now :eek:

Last edited:
I'm a dog lover but don't really understand how dogs are relevant here but hey ho. Mentioning dogs is never a bad thing :D I was just making the point that electro mechanical devices may deteriorate over time. I'm sure you know this so the decision is yours.

You'll be aware of my opinion as I posted honestly above. I feel very little affinity to this kit and in your position I'd probably sell the Nikon kit and be happy with my Fuji kit. Actually when I went digital I gave my Nikon SLR away but when moving from Canon DSLR's to mirrorless I sold the Canon kit. However I can relate to how you feel and I do understand having kit but not bothering to sell it.

Good luck with the new Fuji kit and with enjoying your Nikon kit from time to time too.

I'm a dog lover but don't really understand how dogs are relevant here but hey ho.

It was a loose analogy to what and who might outlast the other. I get dogs in everywhere. I have a T shirt that says "If I can't bring my dog, I'm not coming". :)

Back