Bit Of Help

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just bought a 40D, with the 17-85mm IS USM lens, and i would like to know what type of filter i should get to protect it. I have not used filters before but i want to know in order to protect it.

Also will any petal hood of ebay be ok for the lens or are there specific ones to go for etc?

Many Thanks
Matt

The 17-85 requires a 67mm filter. If you want to use a filter to protect it (and I don't want to get bogged down in the pros and cons of that) then you'll want a clear protector filter or alternatively a UV filter. There are loads of different brands at different price points. Cheap filters should generally be avoided because they can degrade your image quality. We use Hoya Pro 1 Digital filters for all our lenses.

Lens hoods are generally not interchangeable between lenses. The 17-85 takes a Canon EW-73B hood. Canon hoods are pretty expensive but you can buy cheap copies on eBay. Just make sure it's the right model.

Thanks Stewart.

I will look for that hood on ebay and see what i can find. What other good makes for filters are there. Im looking around £10-£20max for a filter.

Regards
Matt

Matt, as Stewart has said, cheap filters are likely to have a detrimental effect on image quality and a filter in the £10-£20 range is a cheap filter. Stewart's suggestion of a Hoya Pro 1 Digital is a good one but they don't come cheap (££40-45ish?). Personally I think the Hoya HMC UV filter would be satisfactory for your lens but even then you're probably looking at around the £30 mark.

I will look for that hood on ebay and see what i can find. Matt

Make sure it's a reasonable quality aftermarket hood, it should be a matt finish on the inside, some are a flock type like the genuine Canon ones are. If not, you can have problems with reflections from the inside of the hood (y)

for that money ditch the uv filter and buy a rip off canon hood, it should say for ew-73b or similar the threaded ones don't protect the focussing motor on some lenses (not sure if 17-85 falls into this catergory but 50/1.4 defo does)

So the Kenco one is rubbish? What others are there that you would recommend under £50 apart from the one suggested by Stewart, i would like to see what else there is.

Thanks

Oh ok thanks Stewart, i think i will go for that then and a knock off hood. Hopefully i can order tonight.

Back