Bits and people of Bristol

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Lately I've been trying to move away from my usual subject/style which is urban- and city-scapes. The aim being to focus more on people and abstracts and also to shoot more themes and series, to focus and further challenge myself.

Here are a few pics from a recent sunny day in Bristol. All shot on film (Nikon FM2, 19-35mmm, Ilford XP2 for the black and white, and Fuji Superia 400).

The main purpose of the day was street portraits. The aim to approach, engage, but avoid overly disrupting strangers as they relaxed in the sun (you can see the rest here in a more detailed thread).

Firstly, a couple of Banksy's Hanging Man

036_34.JPG

019_19.JPG

And the rest are a few street portraits taken as part of that series I'm working on

007_5.JPG

025_25.JPG

005_5.JPG

014_14.JPG

Last edited:
I like the last image, the others dont do anything for me, it might be the processing, but it works in the last one. The grain adds atmosphere to it for me.

I quite like these,nice use of sun/shade and shadow and the second shot also throws in a modicum of mystery imo
If I had to pick a weak shot,then I'd probably say #5
....haven't used film for years myself,laziness on my part I suspect ;)

Thanks Martyn. I still like 5 but I've had that comment from a few people now. Also a few have said they really like it, maybe it's a marmite shot? No excuses, stop being lazy then and use film again, it's just a joy to use an old manual film camera over a DSLR.

Thanks as well Gerry. I actually (a rarity for me) shot that in colour. I just felt it looked better in black and white. What do you think of the original when put side by side? Which works better?

007_5.JPG

007_5.JPG

Back