Bl**dy Canon

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
As I'm sure you all know my 400D arrived last saturday. I spent some time taking photos around the house and nearby and was a little concerned that the camera froze a few times. I remembered seeing a thread on here about the same problem and removing the battery for a few seconds seemed to fix.

I've been quite busy so today was my first chance to get out and take some photos 'on location' as it were.

Imagine my dismay when the camera froze and refused to unfreeze. Removing the battery turns it off but as soon as I replace the battery it freezes again.

Any ideas.

?fresh battery?
?what lens you using?

probably need to leave the battery out for a while to make sure it has "forgotten" - 30 minutes or more
seems like a lifetime

No error message camera freezes completely and will not do anything. Will not even turn off.

I tried

changing battery, even leaving it out for 30 mins.

removing the cf card, just in case.

changing lenses.

removing battery with camera switched on, off.

replacing battery with camera switched on, off.

try cleaning the camera/lens contacts

Also try turning on the option to allow you to shoot without a card, and leaving the card out, taking some snapshots.

Does it freeze just after you take a photograph? Not long after I got my 30d I was taking some long IR exposures, after each shot the camera would freeze up (or so I thought) it turned out I had long exposure noise reduction turn on in the menu options and the camera was taking a second identical length 'black' shot for every one I took.

Also - I'd try taking out ALL of the batteries out of the camera - and leaving it for 10 mins.

What I mean when I say that I mean the normal battery AND the standby battery that gives the cam enough power to remember the date/time etc.

Once you've taken both out - leave them out for 10 mins. Then see what happens! :)

Matt

hmm sounds like back to the shop time doesn't it

:agree:

I think so.:crying:

This as been a nightmare. The first one I ordered didn't arrive and this one doesn't work.:shake::bang:

I've had enough of the internet, I'm going to just buy it's replacement from the local camera shop.

Have to say, if it's new..... surely you should send it back for a replacement. Sounds like you've tried most things to no avail, indicating that it has a fault. I've had my 400D for a year now, and not once has it frozen.

:agree:

had mine since June/July '07
no probs yet
(but don't say it too loud in case it hears!)

where d'you get it from?

Does it freeze up if started up without a lens on?

My wife, god bless her, suggested that the batteries were no good.

I explained patiently that one came with the camera and had been charged overnight, one was new purchased from picstop and had been charged overnight and the third was the spare from our video camera, which also happens to be a Canon, and had a few hours of charging before we left today.:bonk:

Unperturbed she suggested that maybe the charger that came with the camera was faulty.:LOL:

To keep her happy and prove I was right I agreed to charge the batteries using the camcorder charger.:wacky:

Camera works fine now.:bang::bang::bang:

I've just finished and sent the e-mail to the supplier.:eek:

Now I'm going to feel really silly when I have to eat humble pie.:bonk:

I love my wife.:love::love:

oh..oh ... oopsie

At least you've got it sorted.

If it is the charger I would'nt be too concerned about "odd" behaviour. If the battery is "too" low then very
odd things can happen.

glad it's sorted!
and is she still :) ?

She's going to be unbearable for days.

When we were courting I was stripping down my Norton and couldn't get the crank case off. :shrug: She suggested I check for extra nuts under the rocker cover and was right. :bonk: I'm still hearing about that thirty years later.:puke:

This is just extra fuel for the fire.:bang:

I'd secretly be glad that you've got a clever model. Most wives come in varying degrees of blonde and dim (wish mine was one of them sometimes)

:exit:

I feel your pain mate:crying: It would have been far better for you if the camera had been faulty:LOL:

I am still a little concerned though.

Surely even if the battery is poor, the camera should shut down when switched to off.:thinking:

That was short lived euphoria.:)

My wife, Kim, has read this and is now busily reminding me of all the other times she was right.:puke:

I tell her the time she was most right was when she married me.:woot:

I often find myself in similar situations, don't you just hate it when they are right:D

mine has never frozen. the spring broke tho lol

Are yu using an old lens? My old Sigmas freeze up my 30D - they're not compatible with later digis. Could be the fault.

well detritus watch out coz next thing that might go is the mirror spring, that went on mine after 500 pics.

Is this where I say the wife recommends you should have brought a Nikon?!!!! Lads they're always right!!!!

Maybe you should return it then...i wouldnt want to take any chances on it messing up again even if its ok now...especially at that much money.:)

Are Canons known for being unreliable?
Don't think so. Had mine for a few months; been ok.
I reckon you've just got a faulty one by the sound of it. :shrug:

no but a common known fault is the spring breaking lol like mine did just after id owned it a couple of months lol

Speaking as a software engineer I'd say that this is likely to be a firmware issue, however, I've never had a problem with my 400D freezing (although I've never managed to get hold of one with a correctly aligned sensor, but that's another story which I've banged on about enough already).

I wonder if Canon have any firmware upgrades available.

If I were you I'd simply get it exchanged immediately.

Back