Black and white and when

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Hope i'm not leeching too much of you guys experiences (ive only been a member for a couple of days!)

At the moment ive got a bit of time off work so i'm busy visiting my garden landscape clients to take photo's of stone and wood work that ive done this last year. Conditions are not ideal but ive found that black and white shots are quite effective for showing off textures and details that would otherwise be a bit bland.

Blah, blah, get to the point Ian............whats the difference between taking photos in black and white and converting colour images to b&w afterwards in photoshop?

thanks

There are different techniques to B&W, it's not a simple desaturation.
The colour info is very useful to most techniques so it's best to keep it, you can get different versions of the same shot.
If you shoot in B&W, what you get is..... what you get, pretty much.

Some people on here shoot RAW in B&W mode as the camera will apply B&W to the viewfinder preview but the actual RAW file is left complete. That way you get a feel for how your B&W photo looks as you shoot it. I wouldn't shoot JPEG in B&W for the reasons I gave before.
I suppose if you were on a paid job and the client wanted a really fast turnaround of B&W's with universal compatibility you might consider shooting JPEG B&W. Or if you have no Photoshop type software, but there are free editing packages out there.

Back