Black and white

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
little bit of advice please.
No doubt you have been asked this before, but, can someone advise me if it is better to edit to black n white using the camera or when editing ie elements?:thinking::thinking:

You get more contoll and a better picture using software, there are some realy good plugins available from Alien that emulate film grain.

Good results can be obtaind by 'de saturating ' the image in elements

Click here for a tutorial

I tend to shoot RAW+Jpeg, using the monochrome picture style on my EOS450D - that way I get a black and white preview to help me with "the look of BnW" while I'm out and about, but have the RAW file to get stuck into for processing within CS4 at home.

If you are converting in photoshop, try using channel mixer and tick the monochorme box, instead of desaturation as it offers you a much greater level of control.

Yes desaturate is about the worst way to get B+W in photoshop, my personal favorite is Silver effect pro (PS plugin) but the B+W palette is CS3/4 is pretty good.

I am bowled over with the response, thanks all that have replied.

I am going to have a go with a photo I have taken, I would like to place it on this web site for your criticism, but can't figure out how, can any one point me in the right direction?
i have recently placed a bnw photo I took yesterday in Dungeness of a boat, www.flickr.com/robsavage01 if you would like to have a look?

Upload the pic to flicker or somewhere, copy the link then hit the insert image button on the top of the window you type into (second from the right ) add the link in there and bobs your mothers brother.

Doesn't seem to be working for me, the links here twice but not showing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsavage01/3771423153/

I looked at your Flickr page and they said they are having problems with flickr.

Nice images by the way. Weird place Dungerness isn't it.

Seems as though you go back in time whenever i go down there, big big clash with the powerstation though.
Great characters and loads of other guys roaming around with cameras!!

Funniest username for a while......:D......(y)

Back