1. Nuzik

Nuzik

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm have to admit I am an old romantic and I absolutely love black and white photography. I don't know what it is but even the vibrancy of colour I always feel it would look better in black and white. Am I the only one? Am I lost in my dull self?

LLcoolDave likes this.
  2. GTG

GTG Suspended / Banned

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I love some of the old film B+W. Digital can be good too but I much prefer the old B+W film but not sure why exactly

Nuzik likes this.
  3. IanD

IanD

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I love a black and white image too, as long as it's been processed well (to my particular taste dependant on subject)

Nuzik likes this.
  4. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You are not alone.
    Matt

Seajay and Nuzik like this.
  5. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Most of my people photography gets at least a cursory B&W treatment. And that attracts a certain kind of customer.

That’s the answer without getting w***y about the medium.

6. droj

droj

Name:
    Rog
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's nowt to do with romance. Or at least, if it is in your case, then I'm not sure that's the most valuable reason to be enamoured of it. Mono has certain qualities that colour doesn't, and vice versa. Different strengths, different meaning. So it's ridiculous to suggest that one might be superior to the other.

They are different photographic media, each with a different import (or 'message capability'). The deal is to play to their strengths, as equals.

sphexx likes this.
  7. Nuzik

Nuzik

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Why is it nothing o do with romance. I prefer my wife to others because if romance. People buy Fuji because of romance. I'm at a loss as to why you feel it can't be?
    I agree there are qualities of either or. But this is why I can here. I wanted to discuss and see if I was alone.
    You realise some people have sex dolls and others love feet?? I'm not judging them people have preferences

8. adrianday

adrianday

Name:
    Adrian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You lost me at 'wife' and 'romance' in the same sentence.

9. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    There are some images that look great in B&W, others work better in colour. I wouldn't discount colour

10. juggler

juggler

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I tend to plan for B&W at shooting time. Sometimes subject or lighting suits the emphasis on shape & texture. And sometimes colour is a vital ingredient.

rjbell and Nuzik like this.
  11. horrocks

horrocks

Name:
    Toby
    Edit My Images:
    No
    “When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and White, you photograph their souls!”

Ted Grant

TheBigYin, Nuzik and IanD like this.
  12. horrocks

horrocks

Name:
    Toby
    Edit My Images:
    No
    There's currently a premium competition open on the Photocrowd website for B&W portraits, there are some seriously impressive entries. You need to subscribe to see them I think.

Nuzik likes this.
  13. Nuzik

Nuzik

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm not a member but I'll go have a look

14. Chipl95

Chipl95

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I love shooting in black and white! I did some amazing ones of my fiance both times I've seen him in person and we think he photographs well in black and white.

Nuzik likes this.
  15. juggler

juggler

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    do share!

16. Fraser Euan White

Fraser Euan White

Name:
    Fraser White
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Love B&W images - I always think if colour doesn't add anything to the image then shoot in B&W.

17. Chipl95

Chipl95

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Black and white pictures of my fiance incoming!

[​IMG]

The day he met my mum for the first time.

[​IMG]

In Kingston for lunch.

[​IMG]

Peace sign outside my apartment building while we were talking to my mum's friend.

[​IMG]

On a walk in Brighton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With his mum. fun fact- he gave me the jacket he was wearing in that last picture.

18. Gabriel759

Gabriel759

Name:
    Gabor
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I tend to convert most of my portrait shots to B&W as well,just to see if it adds a different atmosphere to the picture.
    Winter landscapes also can be nice in B&W.

19. AgentOrange76

AgentOrange76

Name:
    James
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Some nice photos, As a side question if I may, does shooting in colour and then using something like lightroom to make the image B&W make a significant diference to setting the camera to B&W initially?

20. Nuzik

Nuzik

Name:
    Neil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Most camera's won't shoot a black and white raw. Everyone changes it post production (LR or PS) to get their desired effect I'd assume

21. AgentOrange76

AgentOrange76

Name:
    James
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Doh. Had to go check my camera, not tried shooting in B&W yet but thought it had a setting to do so. Turns out it doesnt (for Raw anyway) it will edit a colour image to B&W. Must read the manual properly.....

Nuzik likes this.
  22. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If Raw was set to B&W it would not be Raw!

Nuzik likes this.
  23. Chipl95

Chipl95

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The photos I posted were shot on Fujifilm Superia Xtra ISO 400 film. I took photos of the prints on my phone and posted them that way because I do not own a scanner.