Black and White!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
I'm have to admit I am an old romantic and I absolutely love black and white photography. I don't know what it is but even the vibrancy of colour I always feel it would look better in black and white. Am I the only one? Am I lost in my dull self?

I love some of the old film B+W. Digital can be good too but I much prefer the old B+W film but not sure why exactly

I love a black and white image too, as long as it's been processed well (to my particular taste dependant on subject)

You are not alone.
Matt

Most of my people photography gets at least a cursory B&W treatment. And that attracts a certain kind of customer.

That’s the answer without getting w***y about the medium.

I'm have to admit I am an old romantic and I absolutely love black and white photography. I don't know what it is but even the vibrancy of colour I always feel it would look better in black and white. Am I the only one? Am I lost in my dull self?
It's nowt to do with romance. Or at least, if it is in your case, then I'm not sure that's the most valuable reason to be enamoured of it. Mono has certain qualities that colour doesn't, and vice versa. Different strengths, different meaning. So it's ridiculous to suggest that one might be superior to the other.

They are different photographic media, each with a different import (or 'message capability'). The deal is to play to their strengths, as equals.

It's nowt to do with romance. Or at least, if it is in your case, then I'm not sure that's the most valuable reason to be enamoured of it. Mono has certain qualities that colour doesn't, and vice versa. Different strengths, different meaning. So it's ridiculous to suggest that one might be superior to the other.

They are different photographic media, each with a different import (or 'message capability'). The deal is to play to their strengths, as equals.
Why is it nothing o do with romance. I prefer my wife to others because if romance. People buy Fuji because of romance. I'm at a loss as to why you feel it can't be?
I agree there are qualities of either or. But this is why I can here. I wanted to discuss and see if I was alone.
You realise some people have sex dolls and others love feet?? I'm not judging them people have preferences

Why is it nothing o do with romance. I prefer my wife to others because if romance. People buy Fuji because of romance. I'm at a loss as to why you feel it can't be?
I agree there are qualities of either or. But this is why I can here. I wanted to discuss and see if I was alone.
You realise some people have sex dolls and others love feet?? I'm not judging them people have preferences
You lost me at 'wife' and 'romance' in the same sentence.

There are some images that look great in B&W, others work better in colour. I wouldn't discount colour

I love shooting in black and white! I did some amazing ones of my fiance both times I've seen him in person and we think he photographs well in black and white.

Love B&W images - I always think if colour doesn't add anything to the image then shoot in B&W.

Black and white pictures of my fiance incoming!

IWUa7EX.jpg

The day he met my mum for the first time.

CMsgfbo.jpg

In Kingston for lunch.

LjFvDr6.jpg

Peace sign outside my apartment building while we were talking to my mum's friend.

PjHqXOO.jpg

On a walk in Brighton.

AC7x0jo.jpg

ECtc2a8.jpg

With his mum. fun fact- he gave me the jacket he was wearing in that last picture.

I tend to convert most of my portrait shots to B&W as well,just to see if it adds a different atmosphere to the picture.
Winter landscapes also can be nice in B&W.

Some nice photos, As a side question if I may, does shooting in colour and then using something like lightroom to make the image B&W make a significant diference to setting the camera to B&W initially?

Some nice photos, As a side question if I may, does shooting in colour and then using something like lightroom to make the image B&W make a significant diference to setting the camera to B&W initially?
Most camera's won't shoot a black and white raw. Everyone changes it post production (LR or PS) to get their desired effect I'd assume

Doh. Had to go check my camera, not tried shooting in B&W yet but thought it had a setting to do so. Turns out it doesnt (for Raw anyway) it will edit a colour image to B&W. Must read the manual properly.....

The photos I posted were shot on Fujifilm Superia Xtra ISO 400 film. I took photos of the prints on my phone and posted them that way because I do not own a scanner.

Back