Black and white

Name
Leigh-Ann
Edit My Images
No
The "Beast from the East" returned to NE Scotland at the end of the week and over the weekend so i headed to Aberdeen Harbour South Breakwater on Saturday along with every other photographer in the NE, however opting to be different i decided to slow the action down and try some long exposure down on the beach......... The huge waves were crashing against the wall and made for some difficult shooting conditions with the wind and spray but i stuck it out and come away with some nice shots........... Here's a black and white image please be kind lol

A perfect storm...... by Leigh-Ann Mitchell, on Flickr

Last edited:
I love that!
What an interesting perspective! That strong diagonal really works and the lighthouse provides a great anchor. Very sympathetically processed too, looks much better on flickr.
I think there is great contrast across the shot and I particularly like the the waterfall effect of the water running down over the sea wall. I would imagine most would be shooting from the other side of the wall for the more dramatic effect. Well done for being different, and braving the elements, it paid off!
Great shot, well done(y)

I would suggest posting it bigger and it is worth clicking on it to view large btw
Good to see a well execured shot from a different angle I love the mono conversion on this lovely image. I know the joys of sea spray myself.

I love that!
What an interesting perspective! That strong diagonal really works and the lighthouse provides a great anchor. Very sympathetically processed too, looks much better on flickr.
I think there is great contrast across the shot and I particularly like the the waterfall effect of the water running down over the sea wall. I would imagine most would be shooting from the other side of the wall for the more dramatic effect. Well done for being different, and braving the elements, it paid off!
Great shot, well done(y)

Thank you i have tried this shot before but there was no interest in a bland sky so i was hoping for better results on this attempt! Most of the photographers were up on the hill set back from most of the action and going for the big wave action shots which of course look amazing but i do love a bit of long exposure and knew what i had in mind........I am of course open to any critique ;)

I would suggest posting it bigger and it is worth clicking on it to view large btw
Good to see a well execured shot from a different angle I love the mono conversion on this lovely image. I know the joys of sea spray myself.

Thank you i will edit the original post and try a larger image cheers :ty:

Thank you i have tried this shot before but there was no interest in a bland sky so i was hoping for better results on this attempt! Most of the photographers were up on the hill set back from most of the action and going for the big wave action shots which of course look amazing but i do love a bit of long exposure and knew what i had in mind........I am of course open to any critique ;)
Good Job well shot, reckon you got a bit damp in the process! If there was going to be any critique and I'm not sure that its valid i might be tempted to lift the shadow a wee bit on the RH side, but I wouldn't want to do that much even if I did consider it.

Hang it, just hang it, thats a real keeper and deff one for the wall.

Good Job well shot, reckon you got a bit damp in the process! If there was going to be any critique and I'm not sure that its valid i might be tempted to lift the shadow a wee bit on the RH side, but I wouldn't want to do that much even if I did consider it.

Thank you ! Spray was the biggest problem as the waves battered against the wall the winds carried the water everywhere so no spot was safe, I had a soft cloth over the front of the camera and lens so it was a case of timing the waves, water falling and removing said cloth focus and shoot needless to say a few images were taken and by the time i got back to the car i could taste the salt on my lips lol i spent most of Saturday evening cleaning my kit ! Regarding the shadows i did play around with them but i felt it looked better with them darker it just seems to work? Anyway i would do it all again, i do love the water never leave home without my wellies ....:D

Hang it, just hang it, thats a real keeper and deff one for the wall.

ha ha Thank you Graham i only have 2 of my images hanging on the wall, one is a Meteor shot i was lucky enough to catch whilst shooting Aurora and the other funnily enough is a black and white image of a Bird of prey i took so maybe........??

Now that is really very good. Love it. Getting a different perspective and shooting in a different way is a real talent. This is a cracking shot.

Thank you Tobers i'm always looking to be different :D

Really like that, can't add a lot to what others have said, very nicely seen and executed. In terms of critique, I could only say not a lot!! Perhaps a lift in the shadows, but that's a matter of personal taste and it's only to see what's there. It's very nice as it is :)

Really like that, can't add a lot to what others have said, very nicely seen and executed. In terms of critique, I could only say not a lot!! Perhaps a lift in the shadows, but that's a matter of personal taste and it's only to see what's there. It's very nice as it is :)

Thank you i'm glad you like it !:)

Thank you for all the kind words they are much appreciated, i really do like the image and its nice to get positive feed back from others as fresh eyes can see things differently.....;)

Here's another image slightly different angle and in colour this time...... I'm hiding behind the chair as you might not like the colour version :p

Even when the sky is filled with clouds..... by Leigh-Ann Mitchell, on Flickr

Back