Black background – need advice

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of my shots like the sots in the link suffer from inconsistent blackness to the background due to the lighting I use. I have CS3, (complete idiot with it at the moment), and would like advice on the best, (and easiest way), to make the background deeper/consistent black.

I take all shots in RAW.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=64076

Thanks in advance

Use the lasso tool, select the background and turn down the brightness i would have thought be easiest.

what lighting you using?

edit: just looked at the thread and they look black and the same to me:shrug:

Thanks for the reply.

I want to try and get some of my shots past the stringent QA for alamy.

If you look at some of my shots at 100% there is some variation in the black background on some of my shots.

When adjusting in RAW try increasing the black.
It all depends on the lighting in the first place though. Do you have a cover that can go over your light box at an angle to create a dark shadow then light your subject from a different angle :shrug:
Just thinking of things I do but I might be talking b..........s just works for me :)

Adjust your black clipping (that's the left slider in Photoshop's levels or the "Blacks" slider in Lightroom).

Baz, you'll need to adjust your blacks, either in LR or in PS, but keeping an eye on your clipping. These will darken down the photo, but if you do it on an other layer, or a layer mask, then paint the flower back in. In LR the clipping black clipping can be turned on using the left triangle in the histogram at the top. In PS you can do this in the Levels adjustment by holding down your ALT key whilst dragging.

Hope this helps.

SimonA

As this isn't daylight you're lighting them with, wait until the ambient light is less and/or move the black background further away from the subject & light source

The best 'black' is to shoot it to black by underexposing it, not trying to sort it out later

DD

As this isn't daylight you're lighting them with, wait until the ambient light is less and/or move the black background further away from the subject & light source

The best 'black' is to shoot it to black by underexposing it, not trying to sort it out later

Indeed.

Back