Black Background Outside Macro with Yongnuo Ring Flash?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am trying to get images of dead plant life (as in the image attached) I have a Yongnuo YN14EX ring light, shooting Manual at F22 on a Canon 70D shutter 250th, have watch a couple videos on Yutube but struggle to get that black background. My YN14EX has a small problem in that I have to put slight pressure on the rear LCD to get the settings to show up, don't no what happened just started one day not displaying the settings, once I place slight pressure the settings show up so I can change them. Any advice welcome. Thankyou. Russ.
BBG.jpg

You don't mention ISO there, hopefully at 100. With the flash off, can you get the image black? Try to shade them from the sun with something. Once you have a black frame (or as close as you can) you can then add flash. If this doesn't go dark enough you can add ND filters to the lens. You could also use a dark card / cloth as a backdrop might help.

Last edited:
I'm only on my phone, but from looking at your example photo I think that the only complete solution will be a black cloth as a background because I don't think that you will have enough distance between subject and natural background for the ISL to do its magic.

Back