Black Five 44871

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this photo this afternoon near Gloucester. It was the Great Britain XV1 Tour from Swansea to Paddington. It was scheduled to be a double-header with another Black Five..45407 so I don't know what happed to 45407.

I'd appreciate any opinions about which photo is better. I've been to this location before ...the second photo... a double-header and I was about 50m from the embankment ...to the right of the front of the locos on an incline and caught it as it came towards me. However, the second loco can't be seen very well but there's much more detail because I'm closer.

Today, expecting another double-header I was able to get away from the tracks for a more side-on view. Although there was a crop in the field I was able to walk along tractor tracks running through the middle of the field. The farmer has no problems with photographers as long as they pay regard to any crops. This time I lowered the tripod to chest level..Usually it's at eye-level. If I wasn't asking a question I would have deleted the post because whilst they are tack sharp in LR Classic they are far from tack sharp here. I've had this problem before, as have others. On other occasions they are fine.Anyone any thoughts on this ?

Today's photo (no.1) taken at 1/1000sec f8. and 10fps on a tripod using a remote. No reason for oof. If it had been a double-header it would have made a nice shot. There's a trade off between getting in close but not getting a good image of the second loco and getting both but less detail and missing the 'close-up' effect. Which is best to go for at this location ? The light was poor in the second shot so that will make a difference,anyway.

143 (143 of 1).jpg

142 (142 of 1).jpg

I'd go with the 1st shot.

The double header in the 2nd has the second engine obscured and less dramatic smoke/steam plume.

I haven't been out chasing the GB XVI this year. Though looking at the mixed consist behind the the black 5 I think I'm not regretting it that much. Looks like the enforcement of door locking means that we may have to get used to this sort of thing.

I find double headers work better with a more of a side on angle - or on a curve to get better view of the second engine.

(And agree with the quality problems of posting images if you paste them into a message).

I'd go with the 1st shot.

The double header in the 2nd has the second engine obscured and less dramatic smoke/steam plume.

I haven't been out chasing the GB XVI this year. Though looking at the mixed consist behind the the black 5 I think I'm not regretting it that much. Looks like the enforcement of door locking means that we may have to get used to this sort of thing.

I find double headers work better with a more of a side on angle - or on a curve to get better view of the second engine.

(And agree with the quality problems of posting images if you paste them into a message).
Thanks,Andrew.

My wife likes to see the locos so I get chauffeured to them..Lol. But..she said how disappopinting it was in relation to the carriages. The 'rake' as mentioned by Swiss Toni re his 'Braunton' post yesterday. It's the first time I've heard that term. We live and learn .

Re the oof or, at least, 'soft' photos no-one has been able to explain why. Suggestions on how to possibly avoid it have been posted..ie a different route to posting, which I've forgotten but not the cause.

Back