Black or white?

Name
Bambi
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my little red head Emilyn :) this shot was super random and it turned out amazing! One of my favorites I've done!

IMG_20130125_085815_zps90974776.jpg

IMG_20130125_085823_zps37a4359d.jpg

I like them both very much.
If you are asking which 1, colour or BW, then I would go for the colour, love the eye and hair colour.

She was moving all crazy on me being silly. Alot was out of focus. I did my absolute best in bringing what needed to have focus back.

I like the colour! very cute photo

I like them both very much.
If you are asking which 1, colour or BW, then I would go for the colour, love the eye and hair colour.

(y) here too

Haha I love them! This post isnt intended to offend anyone or start any rows but i just want to give my opinion here.

It drives me crazy when people get caught up on minute technical detail when giving feedback on a photograph. I know we all have our own different aspects of photography that we like but it really doesnt matter if this wee girls eyes aren't 100% slap bang in focus - a lovely photo is a lovely photo.

To be honest, most of my favourite photographs break all the "rules." They are soft, focus isnt nailed 100%, they are not composed to the rule of thirds, the horizon isnt completely level, they might not be exposed properly, etc, etc...

I suppose we all have our own preferences but for me, photography is about trapping forever one instant in constantly changing time. And this photo has done a nice job of that. To hell with the "rules" ;-)

gaz_jameison said:
Haha I love them! This post isnt intended to offend anyone or start any rows but i just want to give my opinion here.

It drives me crazy when people get caught up on minute technical detail when giving feedback on a photograph. I know we all have our own different aspects of photography that we like but it really doesnt matter if this wee girls eyes aren't 100% slap bang in focus - a lovely photo is a lovely photo.

To be honest, most of my favourite photographs break all the "rules." They are soft, focus isnt nailed 100%, they are not composed to the rule of thirds, the horizon isnt completely level, they might not be exposed properly, etc, etc...

I suppose we all have our own preferences but for me, photography is about trapping forever one instant in constantly changing time. And this photo has done a nice job of that. To hell with the "rules" ;-)

When I started reeding this I thought not another guy giving out some offensive comments but I was wrong lol

Well said totally agree!!

i think there are 2 types of photography
Photography for capturing moments
And photography for art

This captures the moment perfectly so well done

+1 for colour :)

Colour all the way. She's going to hate that hair when she's older, but it's stunning!!!

Colour for me too tbh.

B&w every time, smashing photo. but why oh why must people deface their images with their bally logos?

Well said Gaz-absolutely agree :)

What's wrong with my logo? Isn't it a normal thing to stamp YOUR photos?

I love them both, but I agree it has to be colour. It's a shame to have a model with such lovely coloured hair and not show it off!

...but why oh why must people deface their images with their bally logos?

Because they're making an attempt (not always successful), to stop people from steeling their photo's (if you don't like it, blame the thieves, not the photographer), and, for a pro, as a form of advertising. I'd prefer to see all shots, including my own, without, but accept the necessity.

I'm not a pro and never will be, but even just having your sister in law post your shots on Facebook and getting all the praise for the lovely photos, without trying to let anyone know who actually took them, is as annoying as hell. At least with a logo people might realise they're mine not hers.

Great capture of a moment in time and I love the colour version best, as for the eyes being in focus or not I don't find it a problem ... BUT ... this is a critique forum and no one should be criticized for offering honest non-aggressive crit accordingly IMO (y)

Even though it was such a quick moment to getting this pic as I didn't want her to move, excuse photo bucket as well. Photo bucket makes everything change about a photo when I upload.

Great capture of a moment in time and I love the colour version best, as for the eyes being in focus or not I don't find it a problem ... BUT ... this is a critique forum and no one should be criticized for offering honest non-aggressive crit accordingly IMO (y)

Of course you are right, this part of the forum is for constructive crticism. It's just that I feel sometimes there is helpful criticism and then there is irrelevant criticism.
I mean, would perfect focus o this wee girls eyes make the photo any better? I personally don't think so.

But this is all just a big game of subjective opinions, isn't it?

Like I said in my first post here, I'm not meaning to cause any offence or upset anyone on here whatsoever.

Of course you are right, this part of the forum is for constructive crticism. It's just that I feel sometimes there is helpful criticism and then there is irrelevant criticism.
I mean, would perfect focus o this wee girls eyes make the photo any better? I personally don't think so.

But this is all just a big game of subjective opinions, isn't it?

Like I said in my first post here, I'm not meaning to cause any offence or upset anyone on here whatsoever.

I don't think the focus matters either but we must allow others to give their opinions as long as they do so politely - everyone has a view and each one's view is as valid as the others for the reason you state.
If we start to tell others that their honest, inoffensive crit is invalid then we dilute a very valuable and already struggling part of this forum.
Honest, inoffensive crit should be appreciated and taken onboard by everyone.

Colour. Fab hair!... why ruin it with black and white?

I wasn't meaning that it took anything away from the picture with eyes being out of focus and I do like the shot.Probably just me being a little anal retentive as I took some shots today and missed the focus on a few of the kids pictures and it bugged the hell out of me.:D

Even black and white, still beautiful!! Just because she has beautiful hair doesn't mean black and white ruined it.... I don't get some of your feedbacks. Really! Y ask me questions as to why I did certain things?

I'm sorry, but I think taking the colour out of it kills it. That hair is amazing, and it suits the palette of the whole shot wonderfully. You've stripped all that away with B&W in my opinion.

You asked which one.. I offered my opinion. No offence intended... but I think black and white ruins it.

Although I am a great fan of black and white images I think in this case the colour image wins my vote.:wave:
regards Bob.

"but why oh why must people deface their images with their bally logos?
Because they're making an attempt (not always successful), to stop people from steeling their photo's (if you don't like it, blame the thieves, not the photographer)"

I managed to make my living with a camera for 20 years without defacing any of my photos with "logos" - I understand the reason many people do it, but frankly think most of it is unnecessary, and is often used by amateurs trying to look "professional" - the odds of someone nicking the above photos and getting away with it is minimal. As for "facebook", if you use something like "Instaproofs", there's a facility for people to post your pictures on their Facebook page - which comes with a direct link back to your sales page - kerrrching, thankyou very much!

Last edited:
Totally disagree ^^^ with you. That's your opinion as to WHY people put logos. Not WHY we do it. To look "professional" ? Really? Good for you, you went 20 years without "defacing" your photos. CLAP CLAP,you should get a reward!! Doesn't mean everyone has to do what YOU did! Doesnt make you a professional NOT putting one either.

I managed to make my living with a camera for 20 years without defacing any of my photos with "logos" - I understand the reason many people do it, but frankly think most of it is unnecessary, and is often used by amateurs trying to look "professional" - the odds of someone nicking the above photos and getting away with it is minimal. As for "facebook", if you use something like "Instaproofs", there's a facility for people to post your pictures on their Facebook page - which comes with a direct link back to your sales page - kerrrching, thankyou very much!

For most of your 20 years, digital theft has not been an issue.

I'd love to have your powers of telepathy; how do you know why any amateur puts a watermark on his or her shots? And where do you get off not accepting the reason this amateur gave you for doing it?

Re Facebook, you ignore a specifically amateur problem. I WANT my family to have access to full res versions of most of my shots, freely downloadable and with no charge, because thats what families do for each other. What I do NOT want is for those pictures to be posted as if the other family member had taken them, and a logo is a good way to prevent that. Not perfect, but good enough when what you're trying to prevent is not determined theft.

The only sense in which "looking professional" comes into it is that having decided I want one for the reasons above, I want it to look good.

You also ignore the advertising benefits for a professional. These days your shots can end up all over the web, with no attribution, so if you have the source stamped on them, you at least stand a chance of having someone come back to you if they want to buy or see what else you've done. You can't control the propagation of your shots across the web (though you can only allow access to low res shots), and especially can't control link-backs or attribution, but you can at least make your best effort to make sure anyone looking at your photo knows who took it. The better you are, the more your shots will spread, and the more you'll want people to come back to you.

Instaproofs is a site for selling photos; no use at all to an amateur, and you're very naive if you think people can't bypass their linking mechanism; even if downloading isn't possible, it's the work of a split second to take a screen shot.

Last edited:
Back