Black rapid strap alternative

I assume that you mean alternative straps that can be purchased in the UK (as opposed to being manufactured here). If so, then I considered a Sun Sniper strap, which uses a similar sling system. I decided to go with a Black Rapid RS4 but it was close. I liked the adjustment method on the RS4 and the connector / tripod mount fastener looked more robust. I've been really happy with it. Anyway, take a look at the Sun Sniper straps and maybe someone who has actually used one of these can comment.

Have 2 x Q-straps for my D3S's and very pleased with them - buy several for the price of a Black Rapid.

{Edit, had them for months with no issues using the 'L' bracket}

Last edited:
What ever you do don't get a q-strap I've had two connectors fail on me (old and new style) plus the new strap style feels a lot cheaper than the old one. The guy on here who sells them is a great chap and quickly offered me a refund just a shame the product isn't so great.

I've had my Q Strap for a year now and have punished it heavily in that time. Even stress tested it after reading similar reports about it failing. To date it's been faultless. Bought a second for my friend as a present and whilst she doesn't use it a lot, it's worked fine so far.

I've had a Q strap for a year or so, now, and I'm very happy with the strap itself. The plate, not so much. The tripod mount bolt was attached to the plate with a C-spring clip, which kept pinging off. Now I clip the strap to the bottom of my Manfrotto QR plate screw and I'm good to go.

Search Q-strap there is a sales thread with TP Rates.

Little confused by the OP as WEX have stocked BlackRapid in the UK for quite a while - not cheap - but been available for probably 1-2 years.

optech dual harness here and it's very nice. I couldn't trust those screw in things, no thanks

I use BlackRapid with Arca plates and clamps, works really well, L bracket on the camera and a Kirk 1 inch clamp fixed permanently to the BR fastener, you could glue or even weld the fastener to the clamp if you wanted ultimate security.

I have the carry speed strap which is very good. I like the bracket which doesn't have to be removed when using a tripod and the second clip to support the camera when it's attached to a large lens.

I have a BR, but when I needed a double-strap option I baulked at the huge price BR wanted. So I bought a Q-Strap. I can see no difference between the two. However, I don't use the base plates supplied with either strap.

I have a black rapid and a Q Strap (Secure version).

I am happy enough to use the Q Strap with lighter glass but don't trust the fastner with my 70-200.

For a lighter camera the Q Strap is more than fine but for an extra few quid why take the chance.

Last edited:
I've got 2 single Q Straps and a double Q Strap harness and carry a 5D3 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L MkII or a Sigma 150-500 OS on one and a 7D and the other lens, both with gripped bodies, all day long without any problems. They are comfortable to wear crossed over or separately and the harness is even better for both. I prefer the mounts of the single straps to the harness though and I usually just use the two that came with the single straps but I can heartily recommend them.

I considered buying a Q-Strap. Their website offers advice on how to make the strap more secure using a safety pin and a keyring. To be perfectly honest, reading that on their website put me off buying one.

I considered buying a Q-Strap. Their website offers advice on how to make the strap more secure using a safety pin and a keyring. To be perfectly honest, reading that on their website put me off buying one.

That's just to cover paranoia :D

I went for the Q-strap. The Dual strap can also be used as a single if needed which I think for the price is a real bonus (just unclip the two sections). They are a really nice peace of kit and the dual one really does take the weight off when using two bodies.

With 5-6k worth of camera around my neck, i wouldnt go for anything else other than the Black Rapid. A little expensive, but worth ever penny and i wouldnt even consider looking for a cheaper option!!

With 5-6k worth of camera around my neck, i wouldnt go for anything else other than the Black Rapid. A little expensive, but worth ever penny and i wouldnt even consider looking for a cheaper option!!

Obviously unbiased new member ... what makes other straps so inferior as to put my cameras at risk?

what makes other straps so inferior as to put my cameras at risk?

They are cheap, therefore they must be inferior and will break as soon as you use them. In exactly the same way that TVR cars were much more reliable than Fords - er :thinking:

I brought an Q-strap of the forum s/h,the person send both fasten with it,a broken one,and the new one that he had got to replace it.

If you had seen the broken fasten :eek:,

Out of the hundreds of thousands of straps that sell around the world and you say 'don't buy one of them' because you've heard about a couple that have failed. I'm sure there's been some Black Rapid straps that have failed too and the branded straps that come with the camera.

I carry a 5D3 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L MkII and 2x MkIII extender on one side and a 7D and Sigma 150-500 OS on the other side of my harness all day long and never have a problem with the weight, comfort or failures. Paranoia just doesn't come into it.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of straps that sell around the world and you say 'don't buy one of them' because you've heard about a couple that have failed. I'm sure there's been some Black Rapid straps that have failed too and the branded straps that come with the camera.

I carry a 5D3 and Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L MkII and 2x MkIII extender on one side and a 7D and Sigma 150-500 OS on the other side of my harness all day long and never have a problem with the weight, comfort or failures. Paranoia just doesn't come into it.

Fair enought :D,but you could also say why spend all that money on your kit,then buy the cheapes straps you can find :)

Fair enought :D,but you could also say why spend all that money on your kit,then buy the cheapes straps you can find :)

I must be missing your point. You actually bought one second hand that already had a failed fastener to hold your camera kit but it's not OK for someone else to think q-straps are fine when they haven't had a problem with them holding their expensive kit. If it's just about money then the answer is simply for q-strap to increase prices above Black Rapid and watch people decide that BR straps aren't as good as q straps.

Also, the cheapest strap you can find is the 'free' one that comes with the camera- it doesn't cost you anything more and loads of people hang their kit off one of them.

Really I cannot understand why Black Rapid straps receive such good reviews. I have had a Black Rapid RS7 for about 6 months now and apart from being very expensive, it has left unsightly scratches all over the base of my brand new 5D mk3. Also, it is difficult to use when you are wearing a jacket or coat - a conventional strap is far better as it does not get caught up with the coat sleeve. Also, I don't really like the way it hangs down by your side. It is out of sight there and I can't see if someone is tampering with my camera behind my back.
The Black Rapid is now at the back of my cupboard, and I will probably never use it again. Anyone want it?

I use a Camera slingers dual strap - perfect when wearing a suit, shirt and tie. Good for women too

currytory said:
Really I cannot understand why Black Rapid straps receive such good reviews. I have had a Black Rapid RS7 for about 6 months now and apart from being very expensive, it has left unsightly scratches all over the base of my brand new 5D mk3. Also, it is difficult to use when you are wearing a jacket or coat - a conventional strap is far better as it does not get caught up with the coat sleeve. Also, I don't really like the way it hangs down by your side. It is out of sight there and I can't see if someone is tampering with my camera behind my back.
The Black Rapid is now at the back of my cupboard, and I will probably never use it again. Anyone want it?

How much?

I ran Q straps for two years, no problems. BR straps are swisher but yes Q Straps do a great job, look 99% as good, and are way cheaper. I used to hate the yellow bits on mine, that changed with the next years dbl strap. Now I'm using b-grips, I miss certain aspects of the Q and so recommend them

Back