Black Rapid

I've recently bought a Black Rapid Sport version and absolutely love it!

Yup. Old, fat and lovin' my RS-7.

:plus1: for the double strap

recently shot a music festival over 2 days and it was a god-send... I had a small Lowepro bag which I used like a bumbag (using the belt loops) to stick batteries, cards, waterproof, car keys, etc. in... had all the kit I needed, both hands free and feeling pretty comfortable!

Yup, love my RS-7s, one caveat though, probably not a good idea to use one in combination with a body with an SB900 hanging off the hotshoe as the weight seems to be causing (£150 repair) issues.....

Not used the double strap but the RS7 is the biz - makes me cringe when I see people struggle with those awful OEM Nikon straps :D
Lke myself :D
Are these about £50 then, or are there cheaper alternatives?

Does anyone know what size person the dual straps will fit? I'm 6'6" tall and about 20 stone so not exactly Mr Small?!

i'm 6'2 and pretty broad shouldered, and it fits me fine... I could do up the sternum strap, but personally I don't like to... and it doesn't affect the stability of the strap, etc.

PSILVERMAN said:
Wouldnt work without it. 2 d700's with 24-70 and 70-200 all day at weddings and corporate events. No problems.

I stopped using mine in favour of a spider pro. IMHO a million times more comfortable

I'm tempted by one of these straps but just a little concerned about the connector that screws into the tripod mount. I know that my camera's always been secure on a tripod or monopod but that's with the weight going down through the mount. Having the camera hanging on by the mount worries me as it's not how it was designed to be used (i.e. all the weight is hanging off the mount rather than going through it) and the connector could unscrew itself.

Has anyone had any issues?

I have the RS7, and have dangled my new 70-200 11is with no trouble.
Great strap.

I use the RS7 and all I can wonder is how long before the likes of Canon and Nikon etc, get their act together and start supplying these type of straps instead of the out dated straps they were supplying 20 and 30 years ago:shrug:

I'm tempted by one of these straps but just a little concerned about the connector that screws into the tripod mount. I know that my camera's always been secure on a tripod or monopod but that's with the weight going down through the mount. Having the camera hanging on by the mount worries me as it's not how it was designed to be used (i.e. all the weight is hanging off the mount rather than going through it) and the connector could unscrew itself.

Has anyone had any issues?

300f4+extender the screw has never come undone, the only issue i have experienced when by my side the mode dial can rotate to a different setting

I use the RS7 and all I can wonder is how long before the likes of Canon and Nikon etc, get their act together and start supplying these type of straps instead of the out dated straps they were supplying 20 and 30 years ago:shrug:

Word! I hate the Canon straps with a vengeance, and those stupid lugs which makes it such a fiddle to thread the strap again if you need to remove it. :puke:

I stopped using mine in favour of a spider pro. IMHO a million times more comfortable

When I was in the market for a new type of holster it was between the Black Rapid and the Spider. I plumped for the BR because I only needed to buy one to have two cameras attached. I do admit though that the Spider looks the dogs dangly bits. :)

I use the Camera Slingers double strap

1. It doesn't go across the front of the chest (works well with suit & shirt)
2. Very comfy
3. When shooting with 1 camera, you just clip the spare strap to your trouser belt hoops

Im 6'5 230lbs however my wife also loves this strap, and for a woman, the fact it inst restrictive across the front of the chest is a winner

:clap:Totally agree, would be a major selling point in my view, to supply a third party lens strap, or Canon, Nikon to redesign there own straps.

The camera slingers strap has a "huge" hook that goes in the tripod mount. On a gripped camera, it isnt so much "in the way" as very slightly awkward. In saying that, after 1 day of shooting, I figured it out, and just rearranged the placement of my fingers slightly

The Black rapid hook is a lot smaller, so would be less invasive

Question for the BR-7 users - do you wear it on/hanging from the shoulder or over the neck (as in diagonally)... I've got one but I've yet to actual use it as am too used to my Nikon AH-4 hand strap...

Question for the BR-7 users - do you wear it on/hanging from the shoulder or over the neck (as in diagonally)... I've got one but I've yet to actual use it as am too used to my Nikon AH-4 hand strap...

I use it across the chest or diagonally as you put it. Thats how its designed to work and the 7d or 5d2 just hangs upside down on my right hip or bum cheek when not actually in use.

I found a supplier in Telford that does connectors and straps, asked for a few sample bits and they emailed it me out. Built myself one. Add in an old tripod screw to hold the camera on and had no issues so far :) Think it would of cost about £9 if I had paid for it.

Tempted to design a more comfortable one and get that priced up :)

Also looking at designing one that works around my rucksack for when I am out and about :)

I use it across the chest or diagonally as you put it. Thats how its designed to work and the 7d or 5d2 just hangs upside down on my right hip or bum cheek when not actually in use.

Cheers - thought it was that way, as it didn't quite feel right to me... prob not used to having a strap I spose

i have one but recently have reverted to using the normal strap as i have a tripod plate fitted

need to find a way of using both at same time

RS7, 50D and 100-400 L.... carry this all day....what a breeze

David

yeah i've looked at those but it seems they only work with manfrotto plates not benro ones

Would I be right in saying though that all of these options will get in the way of people shooting with 1D cameras or those fitted with battery grips when in the portrait orientation?

Not at all - quite the opposite in fact. I just tried it with an EOS 3 and grip, probably bigger and heaver than a ID. As you say the camera hangs upside down. To shoot in portrait mode you simply reach down and grip the camera as you would normally. Lift it to your eye and whether you shoot in landscape or portrait orientation, no part of the strap gets in the way of the body/viewfinder at all.

Trying the same thing with the Canon strap and starting from landscape orientation, you first have to shuffle the camera around to portrait orientation in your hands and as you do so the right part of the strap falls down across the viewfinder. Drives me nuts! :puke:

I'm using the RS7 Sport.

Last edited:
Hi

I received my sun sniper today, same principle, only tried it around the house but seems excellent.
Oh and it has a steel braid running through strap so it can't be cut off you.

John

Personal I use a qstrap with my 1D and 70-200 2.8 with no problems at all, at £20 a hell of a lot cheaper than black rapid.

i love my black rapid, but am also wondering about the tripod issue. I have a red snapper tripod...is there something i can get to let me attach my camera to a tripod without having to remove my strap?

Back