Black Rapid

.is there something i can get to let me attach my camera to a tripod without having to remove my strap?
If you have a Manfrotto QR 2 (I think) compatible head on your tripod, you can get a screw that will allow you to use the Manfrotto QR plate on the bottom of your camera. Cost ~£15. I have one. It works well...

......... Oh and it has a steel braid running through strap so it can't be cut off you.

John

I'd be cautious of people walking around with bolt/wire cutters instead of knives :LOL:

Hi

I'll get worried when I see people coming with welding torches.
Memo to me, must buy deep sea diving outfit for protection.

John

i love my black rapid, but am also wondering about the tripod issue. I have a red snapper tripod...is there something i can get to let me attach my camera to a tripod without having to remove my strap?

I spent a long time on the internet looking into this problem, including discussing it here with sling strap users. As far as I could work out , the only solution was a Lu.ma Loop, which can be attached directly to the strap lug on the camera. (available direct from the US for $70 + $18 for postage. This worked out at just less than £56. Took 9 days to arrive.)

It's a nice piece of equipment made with high quality materials. However I personally am not 100% convinced that having an expensive SLR +lens combo hanging on your hip is ideal. Having said that it is extremely quick to remove the strap from the camera once you have it mounted on the tripod, and also vice versa.

Google "Luma Loop".

Last edited:
i have one but recently have reverted to using the normal strap as i have a tripod plate fitted
need to find a way of using both at same time

i love my black rapid, but am also wondering about the tripod issue. I have a red snapper tripod...is there something i can get to let me attach my camera to a tripod without having to remove my strap?

I just used my RedSnapper tripod for the first time yesterday, and the plate which came with the tripod has a hook on the screw underneath the plate. So I just screwed the plate into my camera as normal and the put the BR carabiner through that?

I just used my RedSnapper tripod for the first time yesterday, and the plate which came with the tripod has a hook on the screw underneath the plate. So I just screwed the plate into my camera as normal and the put the BR carabiner through that?

mine doesn't fit through the hook....and are you sure that hook is strong enough? Any chance you could post a picture of what you mean. thanks

mine doesn't fit through the hook....and are you sure that hook is strong enough? Any chance you could post a picture of what you mean. thanks

i'm afraid I can't add a pic until tonight as I do not have my gear with me, but it is the same principle as this.

so the 'hook' is all part of the screwhead. the redsnapper screw/hook combo is a lot more solid than in the link above though, will add a pic tonight :)
my BR carabiner fits through the hook without any problem

I'm tempted by one of these straps but just a little concerned about the connector that screws into the tripod mount. I know that my camera's always been secure on a tripod or monopod but that's with the weight going down through the mount. Having the camera hanging on by the mount worries me as it's not how it was designed to be used (i.e. all the weight is hanging off the mount rather than going through it) and the connector could unscrew itself.

Has anyone had any issues?

The screw has a rubber washer that prevents it from accidentally unscrewing and the carabiner that fits into the screw is a screwgate type (i.e. it has a locking sleeve that screws down over the hinged section). Very secure.

I would imagine that the tripod mount is an integral part of the camera chassis on most cameras - I've certainly never experienced any problems here. The only caveat is that with the heavier lenses you're better off attaching the screw to the lens tripod mount rather than the camera tripod mount to avoid undue strain on the mounting ring. This is fairly logical anyway as the whole thing balances better when fitted this way. You can buy extra screw fittings to save having to mess around switching from body mount to lens mount.

I've used my RS-7 to carry my 40D and Sigma 150-500 all day with no problems and it's amazingly comfortable as well :)

i'm afraid I can't add a pic until tonight as I do not have my gear with me, but it is the same principle as this.

so the 'hook' is all part of the screwhead. the redsnapper screw/hook combo is a lot more solid than in the link above though, will add a pic tonight :)
my BR carabiner fits through the hook without any problem

thanks for that - unfortunately the hook on my tripod plate is too small though!

I may have lost the plot here regarding the tripod mount discussion - but what about the Black Rapid FastenR-T1 :shrug:

:thinking: Or have I totally missed it here :confused: :LOL:

benners said:

Don't do it..... I did the same and was lucky I have fast reactions... Nearly cost me a d90!

hiya, here's the plate that came with my RS tripod and the eye I can put the BR carabiner through.

I spent all day walking round the wilds of Suffolk earlier this week and it didn't budge a millimetre :)

plate2.jpg

hiya, here's the plate that came with my RS tripod and the eye I can put the BR carabiner through.

I spent all day walking round the wilds of Suffolk earlier this week and it didn't budge a millimetre :)

plate2.jpg

I'd be a bit careful. I have that exact same plate and I'm not convinced that 'D' link is up to supporting a lot of weight.It's fastened to the main screw by what appear to be tiny grub screws at each side. It's an attractive idea but I wouldn't like to trust it.

Others have already said it "is it strong enough" I asked the same question on here ref the manfrotto plate instead of shelling out for manufactured fastener http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fr-t1/ the main concern was what is on your plate is not manufactured to take the weight but simply an attaching device

My Benro plate looks like this ( apologies for phone pic )

DSC_0113.jpg

I'm not sure the FastenR -T1 would work as it looks like its a " waisted " design

and as you can see theres no loop on the Benro screw itself

Back