Black Tie Ball

Name
Pat
Edit My Images
Yes
Had my first attempt at event photography last Saturday - wow, it was tough! Hats off to you guys who do this regularly:clap:

It was non-stop, no time to think or compose yourself - but great fun, I really enjoyed it. Shot tethered to the ipad for the first time and it worked a treat, really went down well with the guests.

I made lots of mistakes, but learned so much for next time (have to pose people better!!).

Here are a few, intersted in any comments:

The full set can be found here http://www.meerkatphotography.co.uk/f502877196. Far to many to comment on, but would be really keen to know what people think of the overall impression? Professional enough? or does it still look a bit amateurish? I only set the website up a few months ago.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I don't do event photography but to my eyes these are really good, especially as it was your 1st. The only thing that I would say is a little bit of fill light (low power flash or even reflector) on the left would possibly benefit these to lift the shadow just a tad - but it's only a very minor point, they're really good anyway as they are.
Well done.
Jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate the comments.

The b/w ones actually have no fill, as that flash kept going into standby and not firing! But I quite like the look, especially on shots of men.

Nice to see somebody follow advice and also for coming back and passing on thanks for help. Small point is that some of the whites look blown, now obviously that may be due to resizing etc. for here. Hats off to you as they could be better but I have seen photos from people that have been doing events for years that could learn something from what you have done. Try and find a couple of friends and come up with your own pose book (in your head) for the next one.

Mike

Like these, for events, hope Mike could answer this, do you shoot full length? thanks

What lighting setup did you use in the end Pat?

I took some advice from these forums and went with a 3 light set-up. 2 soft boxes left and right, feathered a little so just a little spill on the background. Then a central shoot through umbrella key light that I just switched on for groups, but left off for couples and singles.

I did not do any full length shots as I did not want to see the carpet against my background. I tried at first to pull the paper out to cover the floor, but the carpet was too soft and ladies heels just went straight through!

Back