Black velvet background

Name
Lynn
Edit My Images
No
I'd like an easy to transport and put up black background and was thinking black velvet would be good for this.

I'm not sure what type of velvet to get though - I suspect that I may not be able to get it wide enough?

Advice please on type of velvet needed and where I might get it?

Paul Rogers sells his own (Pelier Noir) pop up black backgrounds. They fold up like a Hilite and are wide enough for most events.

Alternatively, Lastolite have just launched a new 4m wide background black (and green screen) system which is getting rave reviews amongst those who take their studio's with them.

Both are however background only, not floor , so if you need that you'd need to make additional arrangements, though i dont think that's difficult

Lynn

You need to be careful with different types of velvet. Some don't soak up light too well and can even be reflective. The the depth of the pile, and the nap direction can also affect how you light it. At the moment I am not selling anymore of the Pellier Noir backdrops as I now use the Lastolite Panoramic which is easy to transport and erect. And at 4M wide is it plenty wide enough for most events. It is also versatile enough that is can also be used at 3,2 and 1 metre widths.

That's why I was wondering about what type of velvet - to get some that doesn't reflect back the light. I need something small enough to store under the stairs and transport in a Fiesta (and for me to be able to put away by myself if I have to.)

You want non-shine cotton velvet. The heavier the better. I have bought some black curtain for my lighting table and whilst quite expensive does the trick better than others I tried (the thinner dress material was clearly not as black when I tested it). The direction of the nap also matters btw)

I use a standard cotton black back drop from WEX, which is fine as long as you don't get too much light on it.

I'd love to find a large black backdrop that you could get as much light as you wanted on it and it still stays black.

treeman said:
Thanks, but sadly too small for my needs.

The Panoramic is over 4m wide x 2.3m tall..... What size are you after? Suggest you ask Lux S for a sample of their fabric, and a price to make up what you want if it's larger than the Panoramic, which is a really good product in its own right.

Horses for courses.

Quite :)

My curent set up is a 6m wide by 3m high, but once I've moved the horse far enough away from the back drop to make sure no light spills on it, you'd be surprised how small it seems.

It would be nice to find a fabric that stayed jet black even if your subject was directly in front of it.

You want non-shine cotton velvet. The heavier the better. I have bought some black curtain for my lighting table and whilst quite expensive does the trick better than others I tried (the thinner dress material was clearly not as black when I tested it). The direction of the nap also matters btw)
Thanks. I don't mind spending a bit more to get something that will work well and will be easy to store/pack up/set up etc.
Have a look at Lux S Supersoft Black.... Heavyweight soft brushed cotton and very absorbent with light. Stock sizes up to 3m x 6m or larger made up to order

http://www.studiodecor.co.uk/index.php/studio-backgrounds/112-supersoft-black
Thanks will take a look at that.

Will also check that out - possibly bigger than I need?

Thanks. I don't mind spending a bit more to get something that will work well and will be easy to store/pack up/set up etc.
Thanks will take a look at that.

Will also check that out - possibly bigger than I need?

The LuxS prices don't seem too bad:

314b Supersoft Black Curtain - 3mx6m £129.00
314c Supersoft Black Curtain -3mx3m £85.00
314d Supersoft Black Curtain 2 x 2.7m £69.00

But how is 'heavier' fabric better? What characteristics make the fabric better at eating light? Is it depth of pile? Direction of pile? Or what?

Back