Blackness Castle West Lothian

Edit My Images
Yes
Still relatively new to long exposure so this is something of an experiment. All advice more than welcome!

I like the composition; I like the curve around the frame, from the rocks, along the shore, past the castle, and on to the distant lights. I get a real sense of scale and my eye goes on a journey.

I'm not really sure what the long exposure has brought to the party, though; The water has just gone a flat dull grey, and there's not much movement in the sky.

Personally speaking, I find that my long exposure photographs don't work well when I don't have a clear idea of what I'm trying to achieve by using a long exposure.

Last edited:
Its is a good position for a picture as Peter has said but the long exposure has not added anything to the picture that you would of had in a more standard exposure.

The clouds have not created any streaks and the water appears to been calm already. I would suggest going back when nature is adding drama more to the image for you to record. (y). I wonder if this is a good place for sunrise/sunset or just after dusk with blue light in the sky and the lights of the town shining.

Thanks for the comments guys. You know how it is when you get new gear...you just have to try it despite the conditions! The sea was actually quite choppy and I was hoping for a mistier effect but the lighting was too flat so I'll wait for better conditions and try again.

It's hard to to be totally sure as I'm viewing on my iPad right now but I can't help but think the castle looks a little soft, I cannot access a larger size though to really judge if that is the case or not, I have to agree with the points already raised the composition is nice the shore leads you into the scene perfectly but the conditions were not really right for a long exposure, ordinarily the optimal conditions are going to be fast moving cloud that is passing front to back or vice versa rather than cloud that is traveling across the front of the camera

Matt

Back