BlackRapid strap wear

Sort of update...
Had no reply from BR...sent them another email earlier this week in case they missed the first one, and Zilch!! so much for their 'customer service'!
Therefore they wont be getting another penny from me!
From what i've read about other sling straps on the market, I'm leaning toward the Joby sling pro. As i'm 6' 2", would i need the S-L, or L-XXL size? anyone own either?

Sort of update...
Had no reply from BR...sent them another email earlier this week in case they missed the first one, and Zilch!! so much for their 'customer service'!
From what i've read about other sling straps on the market, I'm leaning toward the Joby sling pro. As i'm 6' 2", would i need the S-L, or L-XXL size? anyone own either?
Being a tiny bloke I only have the small one. Joby do have some kind of size guide recommendations on their web site. If the way my size fits me is any guide don't try to be generous, the important limit is how small they can fold up to to give a tight rein on the camera when navigating difficult terrain, there's plenty of reach-out room on extended side.

Sort of update...

I sent another email to them last week and got a reply last night so perhaps the person who responds to customer queries was out of the office. I've been offered a good deal on a replacement strap which I'm going to accept.

I sent another email to them last week and got a reply last night so perhaps the person who responds to customer queries was out of the office. I've been offered a good deal on a replacement strap which I'm going to accept.
Hi John
I had a reply the day after I posted the above, offering 40% off a new strap.
May I ask what the delivery cost they've quoted?
I haven't replied to them yet, if the delivery charge takes up most of the 40% discount theres not much use taking up the offer!
I did place an order for the Joby pro strap on Thursday with Amazon prime for delivery Friday...it still hasn't arrived!!! they're quoting delivery now for the 21st as theres been a mix up sending it to the wrong depot!...I'm not having much luck at the minute!

Hi John
I had a reply the day after I posted the above, offering 40% off a new strap.
May I ask what the delivery cost they've quoted?
I haven't replied to them yet, if the delivery charge takes up most of the 40% discount theres not much use taking up the offer!
I did place an order for the Joby pro strap on Thursday with Amazon prime for delivery Friday...it still hasn't arrived!!! they're quoting delivery now for the 21st as theres been a mix up sending it to the wrong depot!...I'm not having much luck at the minute!

Just worked out the price myself...with paying for shipment of my old strap + new strap-40% discount+ shipment = £70.
Not worth it!!!!:(

Last edited:
I explained that by he time you pay shipping and VAT, the 40% discount was all but wipes out. Given that it's only the carabiner on mine that is worn, I asked if they could supply only that part as they used to sell them separately and have a video showing how to replace it. I also mentioned that these days it's better to repair and re-use where possible which is better for the environment. I was offered a free replacement in exchange for publishing an un-boxing video and posting a photo on my instagram feed showing the strap in use.

I explained that by he time you pay shipping and VAT, the 40% discount was all but wipes out. Given that it's only the carabiner on mine that is worn, I asked if they could supply only that part as they used to sell them separately and have a video showing how to replace it. I also mentioned that these days it's better to repair and re-use where possible which is better for the environment. I was offered a free replacement in exchange for publishing an un-boxing video and posting a photo on my instagram feed showing the strap in use.

Is that what they call customer service?

I would have said service with strings attached!

I never realised BR were so unpopular! I've had my RS7 (I think!) for at least 5 or 6 years and love it. I checked mine and it doesn't have wear like that but I only have 1.5kb hanging off it.

I've been very happy with my BR strap...........till after seeing this thread I finally got round to checking the caribiner. Although the strap gets relatively light use (ie it carries the camera and Siggy 150-600 but it's not used that often) there is the beginnings of a notch there. Mine's a fairly recent strap with the nylon coated adaptor, however.............I got a metal adaptor with an allen key socket because my hands are a bit dodgy and I don't trust myself hand-tightening things. I put the nylon coated adaptor on the camera bush as a second fixing point via a lighter weight caribiner. Now I've seen what the metal adaptor can do I can't trust it on the lighter caribiner so can't swap them over. I've just ordered an Optech sling to give that a try. A bit galling as if I'd just got a second BR nylon coated adaptor instead of the allen key one all would have been fine...........:(

I've been very happy with my BR strap...........till after seeing this thread I finally got round to checking the caribiner. Although the strap gets relatively light use (ie it carries the camera and Siggy 150-600 but it's not used that often) there is the beginnings of a notch there. Mine's a fairly recent strap with the nylon coated adaptor, however.............I got a metal adaptor with an allen key socket because my hands are a bit dodgy and I don't trust myself hand-tightening things. I put the nylon coated adaptor on the camera bush as a second fixing point via a lighter weight caribiner. Now I've seen what the metal adaptor can do I can't trust it on the lighter caribiner so can't swap them over. I've just ordered an Optech sling to give that a try. A bit galling as if I'd just got a second BR nylon coated adaptor instead of the allen key one all would have been fine...........:(

Jan I already use optech,but only a more normal "round the neck" type strap not a sling. It's been great, faultless performance, but I'been thinking the sling might be a wiser option. for me. Especially because of the time my rig in my hands and the sheer amount of ground I can cover. Would you be a star and pop a link up and also tell me how you feel. with this option compared to the BR. I'm very lucky to have what I do, gear wiseit's amazing reach for the weight,but it's still a lump to maul. Jan, you have a better idea than most of what I do. I'd really value your thoughts on these two staps.....slings...... thingies:D

.I feel there is a better option for me but i've always wondered if a sling would get in my way because I so oft approach low,my strap can be a right PITA at times. It's finding that right tool Jan .I 've been a bit hestitant to change but round the neck is a tiresome way to maul wieght

Carl sorry to butt in bro I was heading for a BR myself, well I think so not quite ever made my mind up if a sling would be the best choice .... so your thread has been a great read,thanks for posting and the education.

stu

Jan I already use optech,but only a more normal "round the neck" type strap not a sling. It's been great, faultless performance, but I'been thinking the sling might be a wiser option. for me. Especially because of the time my rig in my hands and the sheer amount of ground I can cover. Would you be a star and pop a link up and also tell me how you feel. with this option compared to the BR. I'm very lucky to have what I do, gear wiseit's amazing reach for the weight,but it's still a lump to maul. Jan, you have a better idea than most of what I do. I'd really value your thoughts on these two staps.....slings...... thingies:D

.I feel there is a better option for me but i've always wondered if a sling would get in my way because I so oft approach low,my strap can be a right PITA at times. It's finding that right tool Jan .I 've been a bit hestitant to change but round the neck is a tiresome way to maul wieght

Carl sorry to butt in bro I was heading for a BR myself, well I think so not quite ever made my mind up if a sling would be the best choice .... so your thread has been a great read,thanks for posting and the education.

stu

Optech sling should arrive today. We were thinking of going to Slimbridge tomorrow when I would have tried it out, but given the weather forecast we're not. No good going on Monday - the downside of living here is you daren't go far from home on a bank holiday weekend, it can take hours to get anywhere. I can tell you straight away that for walking around a sling is much better than a neck strap. TBH I've never got on with neck straps. If I'm not using a sling I use one of the Cordweaver wrist straps - very comfortable, easy to use and look great too. That's just with a short lens on - never the Big One! With a sling I can carry the camera with 150-600 lens and a rucksack all day reasonably easily (given I'm about 5 foot tall and less than 8 stone). My binoculars are round my neck tucked under the sling to keep them from swinging about. For what you do (essentially stalking) carrying a camera safely and out of the way is always going to be difficult. Just as hill stalkers and ghillies carry rifles, scopes etc slung over their backs till they stop to set up, maybe there's a way of adding something to a sling so the camera/lens is secured across your back instead of at your side till you need to bring it into action? I'll do a comparison once it's here and sorted out (I'll walk around the house with it, and with my winter coat on!)

@Stuart Philpott
Optech sling has arrived. First impressions are good - it all fits together well and no metal on metal bits clanking around like the BR. It's orders of magnitude cheaper than the BR but I'm not concerned about that as I've had Optech straps on both the tripod and the spotting scope for ages and had no issues with them at all, so no quality worries. I'm using the same camera bush connectors so time will tell what, if any, issues arise from the all metal connector. That's one reason why I have two points of contact! I've no doubt I could rig it slightly differently if I needed to. I have some photos (of both systems). I will write up a full review/comparison hopefully tomorrow (when it's raining!) with the phots but rather than clog up this thread I'll post in the Review section (on the top forum menu bar).

Janny,mate,huge thanks ! I've been out all day Jan,sorry I didn't mange a cheers earier. well I'm blowed first hare sortie in yonks and we turn up a pretty damn small leveret,at the end of Aug. for heavens sake. Gorgeous Jan you'll love the little chap,naturally nearly got squished in a track again. have rabbit ok baby hare in headlight image for proof:D

Sorry Jan I'm buzzing a bit,to the matter at hand. Jan how the simple things suddenly slap one around the head. Metal jangling things and me are simply not going to mix.the noise Janny. I eventually went over to that little guy tonight,by over I mean cralwed so many yards on my belly across stoney soil. Metal on stone would equate to leveret in next county. I can't believe I haven't seen this before Jan DOH. What's on the end of it means the cost isn't really an issue just need the right tool. As I say Jan my strap from optech has mauled a 1Div and 300f2.8 is plus exts for what 2 or 3 years now. I can't fault it. I checked it extra thoroughly after reading this thread....as one does it's utterly sound Jan. I guess optech is sounding ever more logical,and will probably integrate with what I already use.

Jan it's late,yet need me bed;) Thank you for this,very very kind,I'd love to hear and see more of what you are talking about,but no rush yeah tomorrows looking WET.

Oh sweatie all the luck at slimbridge and more so the M5,I have to drive that I hate it.

thanks mate !!

stu

:D I'm terrible roger:( sorry Jan. I'm too old and too thick to ever become PC,but apparently I'm really nice so who cares:whistle:

'ere mate I hope ya don't feel left out.............I can bung some love your way to bro:p

too funny

:D I'm terrible roger:( sorry Jan. I'm too old and too thick to ever become PC,but apparently I'm really nice so who cares:whistle:

'ere mate I hope ya don't feel left out.............I can bung some love your way to bro:p

too funny

LOL
It's your keyboard, Stu - it can't spell. Don't worry, mine can't either. I knew what you meant.
PC - don't know what that means other than the big black box sitting under my desk...................;)

too funny

lol, not at all PC Stu, "Sweetie" would have been fine but "Sweatie" (or sweaty) is altogether different!

Big love-in here :D

Last edited:
lol, not at all PC Stu, "Sweetie" would have been fine but "Sweatie" (or sweaty) is altogether different!

Big love-in here :D
OMG.....Buddy if you hadn't of spelled it out I'd never have seen it ,best see my self out and bung another sorry at Janny. ;)

Nope Jan it's not keyboard......but me sadly:banghead: Sorry Jan:oops: :$

I'm off to read your review and say thank you kindly, hopefully without putting my foot in it !!
cheers both

stu

OMG.....Buddy if you hadn't of spelled it out I'd never have seen it ,best see my self out and bung another sorry at Janny. ;)

Nope Jan it's not keyboard......but me sadly:banghead: Sorry Jan:oops: :$

I'm off to read your review and say thank you kindly, hopefully without putting my foot in it !!
cheers both

stu

Just to make you feel better Stu - I've spent most of my life writing quite complex technical reports at work (I was in aerospace engineering), but no keyboard I've ever used can spell (you'd think, in the 21st century............;)). You have no idea how many times I had to go back and edit the typos out of that review. It took me hours, not to write it but to correct it...............:( And I've just had to edit that sentence as I wrote 'write' as 'right' :banghead: No. not just you!

Just checked my strap. although its had pretty much 'light use' it has the beginnings of a notch!

Not very confidence inspiring.

This wouldn't be so bad if the manufacturer were standing behind their product and sorting the problem, but it doesn't appear that they are.

Will be looking for a new strap form a more reputable manufacturer.

Just to make you feel better Stu - I've spent most of my life writing quite complex technical reports at work (I was in aerospace engineering), but no keyboard I've ever used can spell (you'd think, in the 21st century............;)). You have no idea how many times I had to go back and edit the typos out of that review. It took me hours, not to write it but to correct it...............:( And I've just had to edit that sentence as I wrote 'write' as 'right' :banghead: No. not just you!

. Ahh kiddo thank you,I know exactly what you are doing here !!!!! ^^^ Tis hard work at times though mate.

Jan my words can make people feel..... draw an emotional response.......they aren't the best or eloquent never will be and yup I bang me 'ead against a wall with getting them out.. But that tiny bit I can do is more special to me than the rest if i'm honest.. ya gotta be positive mate,glass is half full not the other. I just have to laugh at myself Jan, at times like this one, it is really funny:D. I was boardering horrified when I realised what I'd called you......... but even with roger's help it still took a while for the penny to drop. missed it first time completely hard to stare a while at the second!!

Aerospace engineer hmmm I asked the right lady then:)!

Mate I've read the review thank you. i've been back and forwards between, a brick and lens, your notes and optech. I've caught up a bit!!!. My strap is yours with differing connectors,your sling adds to the strap I own if that makes more sense it's all part of a modular system . Naturally I hadn't really got my head around all this. I was really leaning towards BR until this thread Janny. But I'm overlooking what's under my nose i'm going to take a much closer look at the optech "add ons " to what I already have I'll grab a sling and a couple of those 'erm cough gender convertors..... which means I can swap betwixt sling rhs or lhs or the strap what ever my needs.

Not much out lay,and the gear is stu proof I know that already. My optech gear had done some graft Jan sure not the heaviest tools but getting there for portable wildlife,performace is faultless

Jan I have lugs on the DO, I mount the strap to, so can't think I really need mount the strap to the tripod foot. But i'll see what happens as I go. But this is a huge help,sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees

Oh mate,the afore mentioned gender connectors lead me to believe optech use male conect one side female t'other, so one can simply join the two making a sort of mini "wrist type" strap, it also is a way of handing a sling type over the shoulder type arrangement IE with those simple little gizmos( gender connectors) one can change a RHS sling to a LHS sling.. I don't know whether there might be a further reaching benefit but the option is there if needed

Jan I'm a mess as far as right and left hands go officially a lefty but not really. Until i've been in the field I simply can't work out which shoulder I want to carry on. I think it's my right but i'm genuinely unsure ,so I guess for folks of my ilk there are benefits to this male one side/ female on the other connector thing optech are using..... it make exploring options relatively cheep ok cheep within this modular system !!

.Great help Janny, thanks very much indeed erm

i'm never gonna live that down am I ( hangs head in shame),tis funny though:D has to be said I 'm still mortified :oops: :$

Very good detailed review.

I see you have set up the Op Tech using bushes. Would you trust it with a heavy camera/lens using just one Uni loop connector attached to one of the camera strap fixing points i.e. The way they first suggest in their instructions?

I'm sure you could trust it. Would it be comfortable, even with a short lens - I can't see it. With a long lens you really want it hanging off the lens foot for balance, and because you want the camera supported by the lens not vice versa. On the rare occasions I use a sling with a short lens on the camera (and therefore no lens foot) I'll still use the bush connector on the camera but link the second point, minus the bush, to the PD connector that's already on the strap bar. In fact I'll probably get another set of uniloops so I don't have to remove the connector.

i'm never gonna live that down am I ( hangs head in shame),tis funny though:D has to be said I 'm still mortified :oops: :$

Don't worry Stu. I've heard far worse. A lifetime working in a male dominated environment - what do you think? I'd laugh with you, but never at you.
Know what you mean about being cack handed. I'm half and half myself due to injury - right handed but write left handed, use a computer mouse left handed, sketch right handed but sometimes left handed.............. The P[tech system is very modular. I haven't delved right into it yet but there are possibly a few more tweaks I could make once I've used the thing.

Back