Blair horse trials

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had my folks visiting, so have been a bit slow commenting on the posts from other people and, sorting out a few of my own to post. Anyway, heres a few of my shots from the cross country at Blair Castle horse trials.

1. Taken in the trees, where they then go back down the hill. ISO3200.
3878022138_13f0d4d5b6_o.jpg

2. I had cloned out the lady wearing a high viz jacket, but heres the unshopped version as my processing was too saturated. Here they had a fair turn of speed as they had just come down the hill and were starting to gallop to the next jump.
3876174194_855e9e41f2_o.jpg

3875384029_75a8285006_o.jpg

3877543437_b8758b4c6f_o.jpg

These were all taken in A mode, with auto ISO enabled for a mimimum shutter speed of 1/800 (or1/1000) and max ISO of 3200. Using D300 and 70-200 f2.8 with the VR off. Auto levels, re-sized and sharpened in CS2. Now reloaded without auto levels

Hope you like them, but if not, please feel free to say why (y)
Neil.

Last edited:
Most are nice and sharp but are all a bit too saturated and overcooked for my liking...

Thanks for taking the time Twizzel. I have a new laptop as the last one has expired, so I am not too sure about the screen on this one yet ( maybee worth getting it calibrated)

Last edited:
I think the dynamics of all the images are really good and capture horse and rider in harmony. Also, bearing in mind the different light conditions, all images are sharp and clear. Use of photoshop is a subjective matter, so will not comment on that. Personally, I always adjust using levels rather than any auto settings, but that is just my preference.

Last edited:
Yikes... I have just plugged the laptop back in and the screen is now back to full brightness. The previously posted pics were definately a bit colourfull.

I'm on a lappy as well just now and it's not calibrated so not really fair to speak about the colours too much.

Having said that the first one does look as if the WB is a bit off, looks on the blue side here.

Cheers Dod.

The WB doeds look a little blue in the first pic. Yet another thing to keep an eye on!

i like #3 & #4, i think #1 needs a little D Lighting in camera, to bring out the dark shadows #2 bit bright !

Back