Blashford Lakes Showcase

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
No
Hi all - infrequent visitor/poster at this forum so please forgive - anyone who has visited or plans to visit Blashford Lakes Wildlife Reserve in west Hampshire may be interested in my 'Blashford Lakes Showcase' which I've just got round to putting up and which shows some of the great photo-opportunities to be had there (mainly birds):

http://www.geoffdore.com/gd/showcases/blashford/blashford-index.htm

Photos accompanied by some info too.

Geoff

Looks like some great photos there Geoff. If you posted a couple of your favourite images within the post I am sure you'd get a few more comments than posting a link. Lots of folks on here see a link and pass on by.

Some great pictures there Geoff, thank you for sharing them. The big problem for me is your equipment - its almost identical to mine yet you get fantastic photos from Blashford and I got ... er rubbish shall we say when I went earlier this year! You have inspired me to try again :D

Thanks Geoff for sharing your photos. Will have to visit next year.

I love the Roe Deer ones(y)

Hi Geoff, nice shots you have there, I didnt realise there was a nature reserve at Blashford either, last time I went there was to wakeboard but that was a few years back.
If your heading that way and want some company feel free to drop me a pm, im down the road in Poole.

Hi Geoff,

A great set and as you said it's a real showcase for Blashford. I also enjoyed the accompanying information which in my view compliments and adds to the photograph. However, I did notice an bird missing from the set! Will you be heading down there this winter to try and get it (if it turns up!!). If so, I might see you down there!

comon wozza spill the beans! what's the missing bird?
and agreed I enjoyed the descriptions as well

comon wozza spill the beans! what's the missing bird?
and agreed I enjoyed the descriptions as well

Sorry Alsos, I thought I had already replied to this!!

The bird missing from the set is the bittern, it's becoming a regular winter visitor to Blashford. Although, I've never managed to see it myself :crying:

Some great pictures there Geoff, thank you for sharing them. The big problem for me is your equipment - its almost identical to mine yet you get fantastic photos from Blashford and I got ... er rubbish shall we say when I went earlier this year! You have inspired me to try again :D

Thanks - bear in mind that the images are the results of 72 trips(!) to Blashford since spring 2009 - plenty of those days produced nothing special..... but still good to see wildlife.

Keep trying!

Geoff

geoffdore.com

Hi Geoff,

A great set and as you said it's a real showcase for Blashford. I also enjoyed the accompanying information which in my view compliments and adds to the photograph. However, I did notice an bird missing from the set! Will you be heading down there this winter to try and get it (if it turns up!!). If so, I might see you down there!

Hi Wozza (Warren - are you the Hampshire Warren I've already met there?)

Two missing birds really - yes, Bittern (as you mention later) which has eluded me at Blashford - maybe this winter..... (some shots from Hatch Pond) - also Great Egret which appears to be a regular winter visitor now - showing well from Goosander Hide in (October) but many coloured rings on its legs plus too far away for me (have some closer shots of one taken at nearby Harbridge).

A nice variety of birds to photograph at Blashford - just need that bit of luck on the day!

cheers

Geoff

geoffdore.com

Hi Geoff,

Yeah, you guessed right, the same Warren!

I was lucky enough to catch up with the GWE in October, but as you said , too far for any decent pictures. It would be a nice addition to your Blashford collection.

ATB, Warren

Have you tried photographing Bitterns there? Not the easiest place, as always need a little luck at the time

Geoff

geoffdore.com

I have not knowingly seen one here, i cant claim to be knowledgable when it comes to birds. I just enjoy taking shots of them.

Hi Geoff - I've just spotted this thread and had no idea there were so many wonderful photo-ops at Blashford. I've definitely added it to the top of my 'must visit' list - I'm not that far away, in the New Forest.

Your website is indeed a brilliant showcase and I love the detailed information you've added. The herons with reflections are amazing. :clap: :)

Thanks for sharing. :)

Jean

Sorry Alsos, I thought I had already replied to this!!

The bird missing from the set is the bittern, it's becoming a regular winter visitor to Blashford. Although, I've never managed to see it myself :crying:
I called into Blashford with a friend yesterday, great guide thanks Geoff. The Bittern's hadnt been seen all day, until 10 minutes after we arrived I got a fleeting glance of one of them, I fired some shots off and in the blink of an eye it had hidden itself amoungst the reeds again. I scanned through my shots to find blurred after blurred shot, I hadnt realised the light had dropped as much as it had and I was shooting hand held at 400mm IS off ISO 800 at 50th sec :bang: I got one shot which wasnt blurred beyond recognition and there is a branch obscuring half the birds head, quite frankly its terrible and I wouldnt want to post it, but its my first bittern sighting and shot never the less!
Just wanted to thank you guys for the heads up on the loction and the bittern ;-)

Last edited:
funnily enough I did on Sunday and Monday mornings! got some which I am quite happy with, strange thing was both occations a bittern came out to play within 20 minutes of me being there!
I'll check them over later and post them up

dont suppose you were one of the other guys down there were you with the 300 2.8?
edit:ah just checked your profile prob not as your one of those Nikon guys ;-)

Last edited:

Hi Warren and all - just to let you know that I got a passable shot of Bittern at Blashford a few days ago and have posted it on my Blashford Lakes Showcase

http://www.geoffdore.com/gd/showcases/showcases-index.htm

Also you'll see a link to a new showcase essentially about digitall 'improving' nature images and how far the technology should be used - interested in views on this

cheers

Geoff

thats no possible mate, thats a definite Bittern! you must come down to Hatch Pond I have got shots of one of the three bittern on 3 occasions now and you wont beleive how close he comes to you!

thats no possible mate, thats a definite Bittern! you must come down to Hatch Pond I have got shots of one of the three bittern on 3 occasions now and you wont beleive how close he comes to you!

Told you it was good there for Bittern - and right on your doorstep too! Hope to get over there soon.

Geoff

Back