'Bleak'

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Forecast was snow and I wanted a snowy picture of one of my favourite places in Suffolk and it didn't disappoint either. Now just thawing out after a long day in the field. Also a good outing for my new storm umbrella and boy did I need it to try and keep the lens clear of snow and rain.

Bleak at Herringfleet. by Paul Cronin 1, on Flickr

And a b+w
Bleak at Herringfleet b+w by Paul Cronin 1, on Flickr

Last edited:
There seems to be some kind of odd colour cast at the sides, while the middle of the image is neutral - do you want to fix it & repost?

I really like the composition here. This is really strong work. I think the colour speaks more about the cold conditions and maybe a 0.1ev exposure lift and a tad more contrast and it's totally there
Thanks Steve, glad you like this. I will have another look at it.

It's curious. Was there a chance for any lens flare, or could it be a reflection in a lens filter from the red-brown reeds?
Cheers Toni, I didn't use any filters on this shot, so no idea were it is coming from. I just maxed up the dehaze and it looks very dark in those areas so perhaps the amount of snow falling showing a slightly darker colour or something?

Having had a look on the decent desktop monitor I think the effect being commented on may be just the weather conditions. Now a question - in the first image is it the colour of the windmill that in the snow makes it look like you've done selective colour, or is it really selective colour? Whichever it is, it's very effective and well worth getting cold for.

Having had a look on the decent desktop monitor I think the effect being commented on may be just the weather conditions. Now a question - in the first image is it the colour of the windmill that in the snow makes it look like you've done selective colour, or is it really selective colour? Whichever it is, it's very effective and well worth getting cold for.

Hi Jan, I haven't added any selective colours. It has just been painted so perhaps that's what makes it pop a bit more.
Thanks for the comments and yes it was worth getting wet and cold for.

I prefer the colour one Paul, lovely shot. The ledges of snow caught on the boards of the mill really accentuate the shape of it though, in both colour and B & W.

I prefer the colour one Paul, lovely shot. The ledges of snow caught on the boards of the mill really accentuate the shape of it though, in both colour and B & W.

Cheers Craig, sadly the snow didn't last long either and melted away to a memory.

Back