weekly Blebo-52 Challenge-Week 3&4 added(one picture, combined with story) Added late 30/01

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1 - Direction
Week 2 - Fear http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4377145&postcount=11
Week 3 and 4 - Sigh and Sweet http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4377145&postcount=24

Week52%2525281%252529.jpg

Possibly spoiled by boring Scottish grey sky

Last edited:
It's a cold looking pic! I like the leading of the stones to the hill, but the keep to the right sign makes me want to see more to the right. Possibly a landscape orientation would help?

It's a cold looking pic! I like the leading of the stones to the hill, but the keep to the right sign makes me want to see more to the right. Possibly a landscape orientation would help?
I agree with AgentG. I wanted to see where the sign was pointing towards. Looking forward to your remaining 51.

Good effort, I agree that a landscape orientation would have made it that bit better.

Like the stones leading into the pic. Think the sky is the same everywhere at the minute.lol

I agree that this would have been better in landscape format. Great POV though!

Good luck with the project!

Hi Craig....

liking your 1st image...right on theme....landscape format's been mentioned so just a (y) from me

ps...Don't forget to update the spreadsheet...link in 1st post where the themes are listed....makes life so much easier for seeing who's done what...I've updated wk 1 for you (y)

Thanks for the comments. I think I got focused up on the fact that the sign was the subject of the photograph and therefore composed the picture around the post rather than "direction" being the point of the photo, if that makes sense.

Week 2 - Fear. I like this one as I have been wanting to play about with shutter settings since I did my Christmas card themed photo before Christmas.

Thread here - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=372464

I did very little PP to this. Feedback always welcome

Week52%2525282%252529.jpg

Cropped as per suggestions:

Week52%2525282a%252529.jpg

Last edited:
I thought of a gargoyle as well at one point. The image is dark but I'm not worried about that as goes with the theme. Not sure whether the torch should be included in the image though.

I like this one but think it would be better without the torch - I find my eyes are pulled to it which detracts from the gargoyle!! the lighting on the gargoyle is great and fits the frame well.

I look forward to seeing your next 50!!

Nice take on the theme, I like the darkness it really helps the image, especially around the eyes.

When I stick my hand on the left side of the image with my thumb out over the torch I think it looks better, so I might be tempted to clone/crop the torch out and get rid of some of the dead space on the left side.

as the others guys said, try it with the torch cropped out - it looks brilliant - almost like it's floating :)

Looks good but have to agree that the fixed light is a bit distracting.
A light-painting opportunity?

Direction: gotta agree with the other comments... the arrow leading out of the image at the front makes me want to see more in that direction... I like the line of stones leading to the rear...

Fear: Excellent, but I'd be tempted to remove some of that blank space around the edge... crop in on the gargoyle a bit more. I prefer it with the light source.

Week 3 - Sigh and Week 4 - Sweet combined.

long Story to this one so bare with me. In December 2009 my wife and I lost our first daughter. She was still born at 34 weeks gestation. No reason was found for her passing and there was no warning signs. One Day my wife felt no movement from her bump and the worst had happened.

About 9 months ago she fell pregenant again and we have been on tender hooks throughout the pregnancy.

On 16/01/20102 my wife started getting strong contractions and went in to hospital, however the contractions stopped. She was kept in hospital all week and the contractions continued to start and stop all week. she finally went into full labour on 20/01/2012 in the early mornings. Things were going fine until the fetal heart monitor picked up that the baby was becoming distressed and its heart beat was dropping dangerously low. This happened over and over, then all of a sudden we were running down corridors with my wife on the bed to the operating theatre for an emergency C -section. I was left standing outside waiting to see if out baby would make it.

After what seemed a lifetime the doctor came out and told me I we had a baby boy. What a massive SIGH of relief.

I have since spent the last week and a bit totally infatuated with our bundle of joy. This morning I got the camera out and started snapping. I made a temporary studio from a bed sheet and a pillow.

I my be biased but I think he is the SWEETest thing ever!

To the purist out there that think I have broken the rules of the 52 I appoligise but time to pursue my hobby has not been on my side the last couple of weeks.

As always feedback welcome on the photo.

LewisStudio006.JPG

Last edited:
Firstly a big congratulations to you and your wife on the safe if eventful arrival of your baby son:love::)

I don't think rules matter and this photo def covers both themes! A lovely photo and I look forward to seeing many more photos of him!

Agree that the rules do not matter in this case, especially when the photo meets the theme so well. Congratulations to you all :)

Think you have a great photo there, really like the DOF and lighting. Being picky it maybe ever so slightly out of focus, have you tried a little sharpening and a B&W conversion, think it might make it one for canvas and the wall :)

Again congratualtions, enjoy your son, wishing you all the very best :)

LewisStudio006.JPG

Nothing wrong with breaking the rules occasionally and in a Photo 52 they are yours to set :cool:

I like the composition of this and you certainly can never say that babies aren't sweet (when asleep anyway) :LOL:

However, I do think it could have been sharper in the facial area, just seems a little soft to me?

Congratulations. Well done to you both. Yes, you may be biased but he is very sweet. :woot::woot::woot:

Back