Blending different exposures in CS3

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Can someone please explain how I can blend different exposed landscape shots into one.

I have taken 5 identical landscape shots, mounted on a tripod, at different exposures as I was facing the sun. I know you can merge them into HDR, but I want to achieve the process through Layers.
I have been trying the layer process but I think Im doing something wrong as I cant get the correct outcome :shrug:

What I do is open the all images and then select the lowest exposed shot then stack the next on top by selecting the select tool while holding the shift key to place on top of the first image then when you have aligned them use the eraser to bring out the details in the low exposure (probably clouds). I know this method is qite long but it seems to work for me. You just add the next shot like before and erase the detail you want so that the exposure you want is visble. (I am not very good at writing tutorials).

Then merge or flatten images for the shot you want.

Sorry if you do not understand it. I think I lost myself in there somewhere. :wacky:

What I do is open the all images and then select the lowest exposed shot then stack the next on top by selecting the select tool while holding the shift key to place on top of the first image then when you have aligned them use the eraser to bring out the details in the low exposure (probably clouds). I know this method is qite long but it seems to work for me. You just add the next shot like before and erase the detail you want so that the exposure you want is visble. (I am not very good at writing tutorials).

Then merge or flatten images for the shot you want.

Sorry if you do not understand it. I think I lost myself in there somewhere. :wacky:

Using layer masks is much better than using the eraser. I tachieves the same effect but allows you to paint back in areas that you would have 'erased' if you make a mistake or change your mind. It's a much more forgiving and powerful method.

Using layer masks is probably the best way. Masks are pretty much the single most useful thing in Photoshop.
Thanks TomB (y)
I now understand the layer mask and going to give it a try with the help of your link.

Looking at the layer mask and the 5 landscape shots Ive got, think I will only need 3. One for the sky, one for the land in the distance and one for the item in the foreground.

I seem to remember there being a masks guide somewhere on this forum too. Hope that helps.

Yeah, done a search and found a good one done by Hacker.
Its the same method i used to do my selective colouring :bonk:

Back