Blocked shadows in Girona

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
DSC_2111_900.jpg

DSC_2004_900.jpg

I make no great claims for these - with potential when there, they are good examples of me struggling with the relatively limited dynamic range in my D80 and high noise levels when you try to pull out the shadows in PS. I am posting them in response to this thread from jST, for interest and comparison.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=438022

Nikon D80, Tokina 12-24, CS4, SilverEfex

for me they are quite good...my type of shot
mood and good processing
central themes i am not keen on though
cheers
geof

I really like them, the contrast and texture in the second one is a winner.

Agreed. Not quite sure about the central placement of the door in the frame.

TBH, the shadows aren't really that blocked - if you look carefully, there's detail there.

And, having said that, I don't mind large areas of unrelieved black or white in a monochrome photograph if it contributes to the composition, which it certainly can.

TBH, the shadows aren't really that blocked - if you look carefully, there's detail there.
No, they are not blocked, but they are very noisy where I dragged them kicking and screaming into light!

Thanks all for the kind comments. I fully agree on the matter of central placement.

Noise is pretty much subjective anyway as I doubt anyone here is looking at the image at 100% crop anyway. I really like both images and think you did really well in creating two rather moody photographs just using the light as the guide. A rule of thirds style crop on the second would make it perfect for me but thats my own strange tastes coming through :p

Certainly like these monochromes, hard to choose a favourite, both have a real appeal of their own. The cobbles in the first are just great and the second has a real abstract feel to it. very nice, just my sort of thing.

Back