Blog websites

Name
Jai
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone on here use a web blog to show their photos, and if so what is the best one to use ?

I have a website but I am getting a little fed up of it now, it's hard to navigate and just lately the servers seem to keep going down.

Need something that either has a gallery or easy gallery integration to maybe Flickr or the likes.

Thanks.

I just had a look at the website in your signature. I have to admit it felt a little bit slow to load, considering there wasn't much content on there.

Looking at your domain whois information and had a go at visiting your hosting providers website, and those were slow to load too. Traceroute to the website shows that the provider is hosting in the united states. perhaps on a shared reseller plan where the server is overloaded or on a very low spec server.

For a blog management system I can only recommend Wordpress for a free solution. I've used them myself. There are plenty of themes freely available to suite most people's needs. Failing that if you wanted to spend some money on a blog and theme, ProPhoto has a good selection of premium grade themes using Wordpress at a cost.

If you are thinking of moving hosts, I can't recommend Tsohost.co.uk enough, I had my website hosted with them and had no problems at all. Speed was fast their service very reliable and hosted in the United Kingdom.

I'm kind of in the middle of changing my website over at the moment, my domain name I bought myself from 123-reg, I had it set to follow ver to my foliopic site. http://jamiehinks.foliopic.com/

They did seem to work well for a while my problem was all seemed very slow last week and then it seemed to crash on me. I am now trying to setup a blog on a friends server which I am now guessing is the one you say is slow and based in the us, will give it a try for a week and if that fails then I will try the hosting company you said. I had planned to host my galleries remotely on another dedicated website anyway just a little confused by it all at moment.

Thanks for the help though oh and I ended choosing wordpress to try out due to the fact tumblr just seemed too :thinking:

I think you've gone with a good choice to start with. Wordpress can be a little daunting at first, but give it a week or two of learning it.

There is also a sticky here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=875305&postcount=1 which will list a few other CMS that are quite popular. I haven't tried most of them, so I can't comment on what you should try should you not stick with Wordpress.

However there are plenty of people on TP who are knowledgeable should you need any assistance or guidance.

I'd like to point out that im not in anyway associated with Tsohost, my recommendation is purely on experience i've had from them. My site is now hosted elsewhere due to needing other services.

Hi, new here, but thought I'd weigh in.

Not particularly well-versed in these things but I am looking at putting together a site. I've had friends complain of problems with Wordpress, a music blog I knew has been down for months now because of issues they are having with them.

Hi, new here, but thought I'd weigh in.

Not particularly well-versed in these things but I am looking at putting together a site. I've had friends complain of problems with Wordpress, a music blog I knew has been down for months now because of issues they are having with them.

That is more than likely down to their hosting, rather than Wordpress.

I quite like wordpress, have used it about 3 months - it's a lot more customisable than photo sites like flickr etc. I use a very basic theme, but there are hundreds of themes available.

You need to be organised about backing up your data unless you have fully managed hosting with backups, but that can be pricey.

I runs couple of Wordpress sites for my business and a couple of others too! There's nothing inherently faulty about Wordpress.

Back