Bloody black fly!

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
I don't know if anyone else is suffering, but I've never seen it this bad.
They have totally decimated my honeysuckle ...
At least the clean up crew have arrived.
Albeit rather late!

520-009
by Cobra, on Flickr

520-010
by Cobra, on Flickr

520-005
by Cobra, on Flickr

This year they seem to be a big problem. I've got them on my roses, so every day I go out and squish them.

Too many to squish unfortunately, even the soap trick didn't work. :(

My chilli plants were covered in greenfly a couple weeks ago but I have been slowly transplanting ladybug larvae found in the garden onto them and they quickly got the greenflies under control. On my 3 plants I have around 20 ladybug larvae in various stages of development, really satisfying to watch them devour the little green gits.

On my 3 plants I have around 20 ladybug larvae in various stages of development, really satisfying to watch them devour the little green gits.
I've only counted 3 larvae on that honeysuckle, and today is the first time I've seen them, they have made a mess of that honey suckle. The yellow one, and most importantly,
the Chinese cherry apple and the Crab apple Bonsai's. Luckily they aren't interested in the rest, they either have short waxy leaves or pine needles, none of which can be "folded"

I've only counted 3 larvae on that honeysuckle, and today is the first time I've seen them, they have made a mess of that honey suckle. The yellow one, and most importantly,
the Chinese cherry apple and the Crab apple Bonsai's.
No good, after reading this I went to check our honeysuckle but it looks pretty clear. I haven't been hit as bad I'm thinking but then again our garden has always had a rather ridiculous amount of ladybugs. Other than the stuff in the greenhouse and our roses the aphids are usually kept in check. I wish you luck on getting them under control.

again our garden has always had a rather ridiculous amount of ladybugs.
I usually see a few, but so far this year I've only seen 1 and three larvae :(

I wish you luck on getting them under control.
Thanks (y)
I think its beyond help TBH. I think the only chance is, its getting a hard prune and the cuttings burned.
( but obviously not just yet ;) )

Well thats a bit of a turn up, I've counted 4 larvae at anyone time, now, when I went out to check the state of play, a bit earlier,
I'm guessing they must have a few more mates hanging around.

They have certainly given the little buggers a bashing today ! Long may it continue (y)

Sadly for British wildlife, it appears that you (probably likely many other people) have the wrong type of ladybird. The rather distinctive larvae give it away, but I doubt there's much anyone can do now as it appears that the horse has well and truly bolted... and spread like wildfire. It seems the harlequin ladybird has done in 15 years what it took the grey squirrel around 100 to achieve. :(

https://insideecology.com/2017/12/06/invasive-non-native-species-uk-harlequin-ladybird/

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/garden-wildlife-identifier-ladybird-larvae/

Last edited:
It seems the harlequin ladybird has done in 15 years what it took the grey squirrel around 100 to achieve. :(
As a pestie, I remember killing hoards of Harlequins back in the late 80's early 90's.
I certainly don't come across as many as I used to, and yes I know, once they eat the aphids they turn on the native ladybirds, Curiously, I've only seen a single native
in my garden, and no harlequins.
( and yes I know the Larvae are not natives at least the honey suckle is now attempting to flower again, after being decimated.)

Having pigged out on aphids, someone is about to enter the next stage of their life.

Pupa.jpg

Back