Bloody Currys/PC world

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
.but info like having purchase protection afforded by using a CC and the interest free days just help with the cashflow/money management.
Absolutely, and that is exactly why I use one (y)

what is the purpose other than to "sell" credit services to the many and catching the (minority?) unwary into debt.
I don't think there is one TBH :(

Obviously I don’t know about your purchase, but, when these firms say ‘price match’ it only applies to the same models and if you check around you can see that the model numbers vary from shop to shop even though the specifications are identical :(. For that reason I mostly ignore them, particularly the likes of Currys !
The model was identical. Had I attempted to follow Curry's price match before the purchase, I would have discovered that I could not get through to them for over an hour so would have placed the order with the other company anyway. There is little point in Curry's advertising a price match and then not meeting it and they may well be fined by trading standards for a misleading advert. I had mentioned this with my claim and the legal dept. was pleased that I dropped everything for the compensation.

Dave

Was the “model number” identical?
Yes it was and Curry's did not dispute that. What Leicester tried to claim was that the T&C's were slightly different but this would not have held up in court as there own legal dept. had assessed. Thus the legal dept. paid up. Of course, a company may prefer to take a risk with the court but if they lose, it could attract unwelcome publicity particularly if picked up by a national Newspaper. Judging by the comments in this thread, Curry's do not appear to have much reputation to defend.

Dave

I would rather do without than buy anything from the Currys group...... My son worked for them for a while as a student; all they were interested in was pushing their extended warranties.

I bought a fridge once from Currys, the manager tried to sell me the extended warranty 3 times then just before I put the card in the machine I got the can't refuse it price , when I got the invoice the £499 fridge price had been reduced to compensate for the warranty which was marked at full price

I bought a fridge once from Currys, the manager tried to sell me the extended warranty 3 times then just before I put the card in the machine I got the can't refuse it price , when I got the invoice the £499 fridge price had been reduced to compensate for the warranty which was marked at full price
Many years ago I bought a landline phone from them for, I think, £12 and had to refuse persistent offers of insurance on it :) Don’t know about now but Curry’s & Dixon’s used, it seemed to me, rely on selling on hire purchase and insurance for their profit.

Many years ago I bought a landline phone from them for, I think, £12 and had to refuse persistent offers of insurance on it :) Don’t know about now but Curry’s & Dixon’s used, it seemed to me, rely on selling on hire purchase and insurance for their profit.
Reminds me of when we almost bought a microwave from the now defunct Comet chain. We chose the microwave which was supposed to be on an interest free 'offer', when we sat down to do the paperwork they presented me with a 'store' credit card agreement to sign. I said no thanks & was told I had to sign it...... No I don't was my reply as we stood up & walked out of the store. I never went anywhere near them afterwards.

it seemed to me, rely on selling on hire purchase and insurance for their profit.
I've not bought anything from there in many years, TBH it was pre-internet shopping and at the time there was no other choice for white goods locally.
To add to that, it was always a "cash sale" from us. and the uncomfortable looks from the sales staff, seems back then cash wasn't really acceptable in some shops,
I guess for the reasons you gave Richard.
Plus I quickly learned that a "Manufactures" extended warranty was cheaper than the Curry's / Comet deal :D

Reminds me of when we almost bought a microwave from the now defunct Comet chain. We chose the microwave which was supposed to be on an interest free 'offer', when we sat down to do the paperwork they presented me with a 'store' credit card agreement to sign. I said no thanks & was told I had to sign it...... No I don't was my reply as we stood up & walked out of the store. I never went anywhere near them afterwards.
I shopped fairly regularly with Comet (in Harrogate) and always had exceptionally good service!

Back