Bloody Currys/PC world

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

As some of you may know I purchased a new pc on the 1st of this Month- within 3 days the letters on the keyboard became worn to the extent you could hardly see the letters E A or S

I complained on-line to them and a lady called me within hours and appologised and offered me a partial £25 refund, I accepted this =, as I could use the £25 to buy a bterr keyboard ( which I did )

However: The £25 refund did not appear in my bank some 20 days later :(

I called their customer service dept just now and enquired as to why - I was told my £25 refund had been declined- no explanation- just declined, confused?? so am I

Anyone else had this ?

Les

PS left them a lovely review on Trustpilot :) and I am now writing to the CEO to make a formal complaint too - they have NO customer service skills in my opinion

RANT OVER

Last edited by a moderator:
I've certainly received poor service from them in the past (not a very similar problem though)
What really annoys me when making an online purchase from them is not being able to deal with it by email. Online chats and phonecalls are fine when things work out but leave very little trace of what has been promised.
Last year I had to phone them when a completely wrong item was delivered to me. Online chat wasn't working and I couldn't email them. So after an hour and twenty minutes of my time was taken up on the phone and approximately 2 minutes of their time it was sorted but it could/should have been simpler for me.

In the meantime I would suggest less google searches for "brEASts" :exit:

I worked for DSG Retail (as they were known then) and some of the conversations I overheard in the smoking hut from customer services were unreal.

One that sticks in the memory was where a customer had purchased a monitor which was faulty so it was returned after a couple of weeks. The CS adviser said that they would replace it with a refurbished one. When the customer said that they should replace it with a new one, the response was "well the one they returned was no longer new!" :oops: :$

Many years ago, I bought a disc camera from them (Dixons). It didn't work so they gave me a replacement. Even back then, I was a cynical sod (just a younger one!!!) so had made a note of the serial number of #1. When #2 also didn't work, I took it back and they gave me another replacement - #1! A chat with the manager got me a refund.

Last year I ordered a new oven (top end so expensive) I noticed on their website that they had price matching so quickly checked and found a better price (£164 cheaper). However, I noted that Curry's were stating that they would price match retrospectively up to 7 days. It may have been better to go straight into their price match then but I continued with the order then tried to claim the price match later. This did not seem to get me anywhere so the only option left was to write to an address in Leicester. There was no response to any method of communication so I took out a Small Claims Court case and as soon as the court papers reached their legal office, there was swift settlement. They paid me in full including the small court fee and I cancelled the case. Three months later, the Leicester office replied and tuned down my claim for reasons that would not have held up in court. I did not bother to reply to tell them that their legal dept. disagreed with them.

Dave

Heres a review and response from pc world

I purchased a Lenovo all in one PC July…

I purchased a Lenovo all in one PC July 1st- from the TAUNTON branch, it was delivered on July 3rd and I set it up

within 3 days the keyboard letters were so badly worn I contacted customer services a was promised a call back- a lady called me back and offered me a partial 5% discount in the form of a refund to my debit card (£25)

This was not forthcoming and I called them back today- I was told the refund had been declined, no reason given, just declined

I will NEVER again visit this company and certainly will NEVER purchase anything from them either

Meanwhile I intend to raise a claim against them in the small claims court

be aware this company does not honour their promises

I would give a negative star rating only this system will not allow that :(

Reply from Currys PC World

31 minutes ago

Hi Les, very sorry to read this and we'll be sure to investigate. Please email letusknow@teamknowhow.com (subject title CUR66478) with the purchaser's name, billing address and postcode, make and model of item, any reference numbers you have and other relevant details including a copy of your review? - Dan

Lets see how this goes- I have sent the details requested to the email provided

Les

I would rather do without than buy anything from the Currys group...... My son worked for them for a while as a student; all they were interested in was pushing their extended warranties.

all they were interested in was pushing their extended warranties.
I did very well out of one of those.

I once bought a very early convertible laptop/tablet from PC World along with a 5 year service plan. Four and a half years in, it developed a weird firmware fault...
  1. It was a known problem.
  2. Replacement chips were no longer available.
  3. Ergo: it was unfixable.
When we got to that point, I was resigned to being told to booger off.

Instead I was politely asked what my main use for the machine was. When I told them it was used for reading PDFs of manuals, I was asked if I'd come across the (then brand new) iPad? I admitted I had. Would I like one to replace the laptop? Being suspicious, I asked "how much"?

"Nothing. Actually, it'll come with a £50 voucher for software"!

I've still got that iPad and it still works. :D

Last edited:
I'm surprised DSG retail are still going as their customer services has been crap for more years than I care to remember.
I won’t bore you with the details but I can think of three occasions I’ve had to deal with the customer services along with my sister and numerous other people I’ve known over the years.
I bought from them last year as they were the only ones to have stock of the item I wanted and even then a so called blip on their system was the reason it wasn’t shipped that day even though they had taken my money.
That was the first time I had bought anything from them for more years than I care to remember and it’s the last time I ever will, I’d much rather wait for stock elsewhere.
I don’t like to see people losing their jobs but the sooner DSG Retail goes tits up, the better.
I know there are a couple of generations of people who like to go and look at an item then buy it there and then but then again I know a lot of people like me who prefer click click done then delivered the following day thank you very much.

Would never even contemplate buying anything from Currys, PC World or Carphone Warehouse.

Would never even contemplate buying anything from Currys, PC World or Carphone Warehouse.
I liked CPW before most of the providers dropped them as they always did a better deal for me than I could get via EE.

I would rather do without than buy anything from the Currys group...... My son worked for them for a while as a student; all they were interested in was pushing their extended warranties.
Sadly they are not alone with doing this.
AO used to (it never happened with my recent purchase) phone you the day before and try and flog you an extended warranty but I received a phone call from the manufaturer offering to sell me one.
I jokingly said well if you need to flog me an extended warranty it doesn't give me much faith in your product so I'd like a refund.
That call ended quite quickly.

I had a problem, stil unresolved with them last month. Working from home, I had to buy a new chair. Mine has broke and I didn’t have time to go looking on the weekend as I look after my disabled mum. I paid £150 online to Currys for a chair. Checked returns first. Fine. .

It arrived the next day, the box was almost completely destroyed. My brother set the chair up, it was pull n push connection on the bottom. I sat in the chair to try it out and my elbows were 2 inches above the arm rests and it wasn’t very comfortable. My. brother then tried to take the chair apart and the push pull on the bottom would not come apart, not for anything.

I contacted Curry’all’s to see how we do a return because the box was all broken. They were very polite and advise me to box it up and it would be picked up by the Courier. At that point I told them the box was all broken. The chair would not come apart and how was I supposed to get a chair into any box When it wouldn’t come apart. The gentleman on the phone was very polite and said he would book me a courier, I had this conversation three times on three separate occasions and they all came up with The same answer. I asked if I could return it to store and this was declined. In the end, just for the stress of it, I decided to keep the chair and just go with it. However the next day, the lever to raise the chair wouldn’t work.

So I now have a chair cost £150 that won’t move and I’m sitting at least 2 inches lower than I should and causing backache. If it wasn’t for the fact that it is such a stressful time, I would wheel the chair to the local store and protest outside. My brother has been trying to get the lever to work to no avail. I am now in a catch 22 situation where as I can’t get a box to put the chair to return it via a courier. Absolute nightmare

I had a problem, stil unresolved with them last month. Working from home, I had to buy a new chair. Mine has broke and I didn’t have time to go looking on the weekend as I look after my disabled mum. I paid £150 online to Currys for a chair. Checked returns first. Fine. .

It arrived the next day, the box was almost completely destroyed. My brother set the chair up, it was pull n push connection on the bottom. I sat in the chair to try it out and my elbows were 2 inches above the arm rests and it wasn’t very comfortable. My. brother then tried to take the chair apart and the push pull on the bottom would not come apart, not for anything.

I contacted Curry’all’s to see how we do a return because the box was all broken. They were very polite and advise me to box it up and it would be picked up by the Courier. At that point I told them the box was all broken. The chair would not come apart and how was I supposed to get a chair into any box When it wouldn’t come apart. The gentleman on the phone was very polite and said he would book me a courier, I had this conversation three times on three separate occasions and they all came up with The same answer. I asked if I could return it to store and this was declined. In the end, just for the stress of it, I decided to keep the chair and just go with it. However the next day, the lever to raise the chair wouldn’t work.

So I now have a chair cost £150 that won’t move and I’m sitting at least 2 inches lower than I should and causing backache. If it wasn’t for the fact that it is such a stressful time, I would wheel the chair to the local store and protest outside. My brother has been trying to get the lever to work to no avail. I am now in a catch 22 situation where as I can’t get a box to put the chair to return it via a courier. Absolute nightmare
Wrap the broken bits of the box around it and send it back.

Are they really stupid and unaware of the distance selling act as well as others that protect you?
Oh wait, silly me, we are talking about DSG Retail who employ goldfish as their CS staff.

Their terms and conditions state that apart from online only white goods orders purchases can be returned to stores.

As some of you may know I purchased a new pc on the 1st of this Month- within 3 days the letters on the keyboard became worn to the extent you could hardly see the letters E A or S

I complained on-line to them and a lady called me within hours and appologised and offered me a partial £25 refund, I accepted this =, as I could use the £25 to buy a bterr keyboard ( which I did )

However: The £25 refund did not appear in my bank some 20 days later :(

I called their customer service dept just now and enquired as to why - I was told my £25 refund had been declined- no explanation- just declined, confused?? so am I

Anyone else had this ?

Les

PS left them a lovely review on Trustpilot :) and I am now writing to the CEO to make a formal complaint too - they have NO customer service skills in my opinion

RANT OVER
On the refund declined I had a very similar & very different experience.

My brother bought a cooker hood online advertised on their website as having a carbon filter. For some reason that I can’t remember he didn’t fit it for I think 2 years (1 at least) and hadn’t checked it thoroughly when it arrived other than to see it was there. He found it didn't have and wasn’t designed for a carbon filter! :mad:

I checked on the then current website and found it still being advertise and with the carcon filter. He got onto the store and claimed a return & refund owing to mis-description etc and they readily agreed (!!!). Later he was informed the refund had been rescinded, as yours, He wrote a polite letter to, I think, their Compliance Department (or some such) at Head Office quoting the Act and they speedily rescinded the rescindment and refunded :cool::cool::cool:.

Their terms and conditions state that apart from online only white goods orders purchases can be returned to stores.
Their terms can say what they like but I very much doubt any Act restricts how you can return unfit goods! :(.

If you paid by Credit Card maybe try and get them on the case.

Sad thing is, nowadays, we don't have an option for photo gear and computer stuff here in Aberdeen.
With Jessops and John Lewis now closed our only option is Currys which don't carry much photo gear at all.
Luckily, I haven't had any trouble with them.

If the goods are Not Fit For Purpose then you are entitled to a full refund (within 30 days of receipt of goods) and the onus is on the retailer to collect the goods.

My wife hates Currys as my recent experience is not to dissimilar to posts on this thread .

I purchased a Sony OLED 50'' TV at a good price with 12 months interest fee offer online.
Plus I ordered a wall bracket which in hindsight was a big mistake.
So not to bore everyone with the details of this saga the wall bracket in question( a currys own brand ) would not release the TV, so it was stuck on the wall ! !
Phoned customer services & Technical and was advised to get a builder in to remove the wall. They would not send an engineer even though I asked for the installation team instead as they might have had experience of the bracket, and I was told as the TV is installed so they will not send an installation team or an engineer has they would have no knowledge on their own wall brackets.

Any a lot of phone calls and complaining and I was award £160 apx compensation and it will be in my bank in few days. After 4 days I phoned back to find out the goodwill payment and was informed had been rejected, sounding familiar ! !

By this time I had had enough of Currys and informed Currys customer services I will return the TV as well as the wall bracket. I was given a collection for 3 day time. My wife stayed in all day and even phoned Currys to find out an expected collection time, and was told it will be soon !
Oh no, they did not turn up and a phone call later that night we found out the delivery had been cancelled and I SHOULD have phoned Currys the day before to confirm and should not expected a van to call ! ! ! WTF !

The main problem is the South African Call Centre and the attitude of the staff who talk at you, down to you and tell you stop calling and you will that a manager will you call in 24-48 hours. Well 2 weeks of phoning and waiting for managers to call of which I never got a return call from any one ! !

I was told as I had taken the TV out of the box it was now USED and can not be returned as per their policy ( now remember people policy is NOT LAW ). So a brief explanation to Currys S.A call centre of UK retail law ie Distance Selling Act seem to have done the trick, and was informed of another collection date. This I did phone the day before to find out it had also been cancelled and I would get compensation instead ( again no one called to informe me of either action ), and again I phoned up a few days later and that too was rejected again !
Is this sounding familiar ! !

I complain in my local store and refused to leave until I chatted to a manager which did see and he phoned the UK call Centre at Sheffield and I was promised a UK resident manager will call me.
Which he did a few days later and offered me £200 compensation which I was tempted, however in curry's vouchers, which had a time limit !
I flatly decline as I did not want to buy any thing from curry's again and will buy the same TV in John Lewis. He did arrange for a collection and the TV did go back and I did buy the same model of TV from John Lewis at the same price ! ! !

So would I ever buy anything online or expensive from Currys again, absolutely NOT !

I did send a e mail complaint in detail to curry's customer service HO at sheffield and I must say trying to find the e mail address on the website was so difficult I phoned customer service. Who at first would not give me the e mail address.. Just stating it is on the web site and I should be able to find it. So I asked for the web page link of the e mail complaint address from the web page it was located on, and I was still refused any information, so I returned to my local store who were more helpful in suppling the e mail address.

The above is the short, condensed version BTW ! ! ! !

I hope it works, most of them are filtered out before the reach the CEO and referred to customer services.
Its been my experience, they generally hit the CEO's office but rarely does the CEO reply.
But one of the office minions does.

But there was that one time when Dido Harding and I were on first name terms, unless of course
someone was faking it ...

Its been my experience, they generally hit the CEO's office but rarely does the CEO reply
That’s why you should refer it to the Compliance Department if they have one, which DSG does it seems.

That’s why you should refer it to the Compliance Department if they have one, which DSG does it seems.
The CEO's hate getting these mails.
Over the years, I found the complaints dept's to be mostly useless.
I've never yet been disappointed with the result after emailing a CEO.

The CEO's hate getting these mails.
Over the years, I found the complaints dept's to be mostly useless.
I've never yet been disappointed with the result after emailing a CEO.
Compliance not Complaints! ;)

I love contacting the CEO's with complaints,
I guess you have found it, but just in case and for anyone else.
Mr Alexander Baldock

alexander.baldock@dixonscarphonegroup.com

The reply I got from Customers Service regarding my complaint was, please give us another chance. no apology, did not even address any points or concerns of my complaint

So why would I give them another chance, what is the insensitive !

Last edited:
Compliance with what? Please explain.
Compliance with the Law. I have no expertise in this area but eg:

The single most important task of any effort to set up a compliance department is obtaining buy-in from the C-Suite, along with the Board of Directors. Both should be especially supportive of setting up this function as regulators are focusing enforcement against executives individually vs. the company generally.

Last edited:
Worked for PC World for many years it was an awful company to work for they treat both customers and staff terribly.

Even when I worked there I always encouraged family members to shop elsewhere and I haven't changed my mind since then.

Even on the rare occasion they are slightly cheaper than elsewhere it isn't worth the hassle usually to buy anything from them,

I have only broken my own rule once when they had a lens ridiculously cheap, but even those orders were a a bit of a mess. although was sorted eventually.

They say you should judge a company by how it operates when it goes wrong. In the case of Curry’s/PC World I have found them to be appalling.

I will never use them again, even if it means a longer wait or a higher price.

Do they care, unlikely.

I had to take them to small claims court over a built-in oven. It was delivered broken, and I didn't open the packaging for a few days. Complaints and an appeal to my credit card didn't work, but taking the credit card company and Currys to court did. Their legal department resolved it very quickly once they became involved, refunded it and paid my court fee.

I've certainly received poor service from them in the past (not a very similar problem though)
What really annoys me when making an online purchase from them is not being able to deal with it by email. Online chats and phonecalls are fine when things work out but leave very little trace of what has been promised.

Online chats usually give you an option to save and receive a copy ? If not I would always ‘cut and paste’ the text for future ‘leverage’

Back