Bloody cycle tour in the Dales.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
I can`t get to my usual haunts, the roads are blocked, bloody tourists everywhere, diversions and a general cock up of a weekend.

Can only get to the farm one way,bugger.

Suppose it brings some brass to the local community though.Waste of a weekend for me all the same.

We are unlikely to see the TDF here again in our lifetime. I don't see the problem, we knew it was coming (and welcome(d) it) so did shopping last night. Watching it on telly today and walking down to watch it tomorrow. One weekend really isn't that much of a problem is it?

I can`t get to my usual haunts, the roads are blocked, bloody tourists everywhere, diversions and a general cock up of a weekend.

Suppose it brings some brass to the local community though.Waste of a weekend for me all the same.
Why not go and watch it. You won't see it soon again. It is pretty amazing seeing the speed they come by and the rest of circus that goes along. Chill, enjoy, be happy :)

I figure the sarcasm I felt whilst starting this thread has not transmitted itself across well.

I don`t mind to be honest and realise that it is a good thing for the area.

As for going to watch it, I have no interest whatsoever in the event.

You think that's bad? All up the M6 there are diversions in place. Junctions at Wigan, Preston & Lancaster have diversions for anyone even thinking of going East. That's at least an hour and a half drive away on a quiet road - not a sunny Saturday. Only Allah knows how much traffic is expected over there!

There's a bike ride up here in a couple of weeks, all the roads closed, the farmers won't be too happy, they still have to tend their stock, I expect there'll be a few tractors about nontheless. I've no interest in watching a load of blokes on pedal cycles.

You think that's bad? All up the M6 there are diversions in place. Junctions at Wigan, Preston & Lancaster have diversions for anyone even thinking of going East. That's at least an hour and a half drive away on a quiet road - not a sunny Saturday. Only Allah knows how much traffic is expected over there!
Really? Bloody hell, they must be expecting loads of people to turn up....:eek:

I really don`t envy you guys down in the South West, must be chaos down there all summer long.

I agree. One of our people travels to work by bus and has to change in the middle of Leeds. He had to go home at lunchtime on Thursday and couldn't get to work at all yesterday because of the Tour de Yorkshire.

I normally go shooting at weekends, but everything has had to be cancelled because of a sport that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I don't have a problem with cycle racing but why does it have to stop other people earning their living and enjoying themselves?

Attention: all Devon and Cornwall resistance units

Look outs have reported a long column of caravans seen heading south along the M5 corridor. Last reported location was Taunton Deane services.

Operation Grockle is now in force and battle orders are as follows:-

1). Anti-caravan mines at the Devon border should slow the enemy advance sufficiently to allow the anti-grockle missile batteries to be moved
into place at the top of Haldon Hill, the top of Telegraph Hill, and at the top of the hill on the A30 near the Okehampton junction.

2). Battery commanders may open fire at their own discretion once the enemy columns have been sighted in their locality. Destroy as many
as you can.

3). If any of the buggers get through then they MUST be stopped at Launceston on the A30 and Plymouth on the A38. If all else fails then
Devonians should fall back in good order across the bridges into Cornwall. Unit commanders in charge of blowing the bridges should wait
until the lead caravan is half way across before detonating their charges.

4). I shouldn't need to tell you what will happen if the buggers make it into Cornwall. It will be complete chaos on roads throughout the area
for the entire summer so it's in everybody's best interests to ensure they don't make it across the border. Good luck!

Message Ends.

They are wonderful photo opportunities though, no not the caravans, the Tour de France. And especially the nude peloton that goes through after the circus has passed.

Get you grumpy old git :mad:

Just for you Ade, enjoy :banana:

La Grand. by Neil Brimacombe, on Flickr

I thought all the farmers were entering into the spirit ... 'painting' sheep yellow and doing 'field paintings' and sculptures - well that's what Countryfile said :exit:

I thought all the farmers were entering into the spirit ... 'painting' sheep yellow and doing 'field paintings' and sculptures - well that's what Countryfile said :exit:

And you believe everything that's said on Countryfile?

But yes they painted llamas in the colour of the main jerseys, and "rescued" loads of old bikes and painted them yellow to hang by the side of the road.
All very jolly.

Attention: all Devon and Cornwall resistance units

Look outs have reported a long column of caravans seen heading south along the M5 corridor. Last reported location was Taunton Deane services.

Operation Grockle is now in force and battle orders are as follows:-

1). Anti-caravan mines at the Devon border should slow the enemy advance sufficiently to allow the anti-grockle missile batteries to be moved
into place at the top of Haldon Hill, the top of Telegraph Hill, and at the top of the hill on the A30 near the Okehampton junction.

2). Battery commanders may open fire at their own discretion once the enemy columns have been sighted in their locality. Destroy as many
as you can.

3). If any of the buggers get through then they MUST be stopped at Launceston on the A30 and Plymouth on the A38. If all else fails then
Devonians should fall back in good order across the bridges into Cornwall. Unit commanders in charge of blowing the bridges should wait
until the lead caravan is half way across before detonating their charges.

4). I shouldn't need to tell you what will happen if the buggers make it into Cornwall. It will be complete chaos on roads throughout the area
for the entire summer so it's in everybody's best interests to ensure they don't make it across the border. Good luck!

Message Ends.

As a Devonian, I must point out that we let the caravans get over the bridges into Cornwall before we blow the bridges - we don't want that type our side of the border!!! Once they're over the bridges they're no longer grockles, they become emetts (Kernowish for ants). The problems usually come (or at least used to) as they tried to escape down Haldon hill at speed - they tended to get a wobble on and turn over...

As a Devonian, I must point out that we let the caravans get over the bridges into Cornwall before we blow the bridges - we don't want that type our side of the border!!! Once they're over the bridges they're no longer grockles, they become emetts (Kernowish for ants). The problems usually come (or at least used to) as they tried to escape down Haldon hill at speed - they tended to get a wobble on and turn over...

I'm more bothered by those on the a39 towards bude way.... I use roads round there a LOT for my job, and just one person who has no idea how to drive with a trailer completely naffs up my journey times

I figure the sarcasm I felt whilst starting this thread has not transmitted itself across well.

I don`t mind to be honest and realise that it is a good thing for the area.

As for going to watch it, I have no interest whatsoever in the event.

I know it sounds pious, but I really regret not going to watch the Olympic cycling when it came so close to me

Sorry if I've missed something (OH watching footy so a bit brain dead tbh) but this is a photography forum isn't it? So why not get with the game, get your camera out and grab a few shots of the event. It's only one day ... Not the end of the world on the scale of things. If I was a bit nearer I'd be out there with my camera regardless of the fact that cycling isn't really my favourite thing ....

I also don't get why part of the Tour de France is in Yorkshire. What next, part of the British Grand Prix includes a couple of hours razzing past the Eiffel Tower?

Well, I was fed up with every single pub in the country draped in stupid flags and full of drunks in football t shirts watching a bunch of fairies kicking a ball around, but hey.. Life sucks... I just didn't go to the pub for a few weeks..

Its a 3 day event, get over it. Judging by the immense crowds along the majority of the route, it seems the moaners are very much in a minority.

I expect the french are fed up with their roads being closed for a bike ride so they have to go somewhere else.

They always start in a different country and this year it is here.

.....not so sure that Monday in London is a good idea though! :eek:

Perhaps it might just be me, but every time the words Tour De France is mentioned, this springs to mind . . .

wow a lot of moaners - people should be grateful the uk gets to host such a major event especially if it helps promote a sport which gets people fitter if they take it up - must also boost the local economy in terms of tourism as well

Apparently the latest thing to do for the moaners is to lay down tacks. Happened down in salisbury recently and 16 riders had their tyres punctured. Seems very dangerous and thoughtless

Apparently the latest thing to do for the moaners is to lay down tacks. Happened down in salisbury recently and 16 riders had their tyres punctured. Seems very dangerous and thoughtless
Just googled for this story and it looks more like vandalism that anything else - appears to be tacks on a route used by cyclists to avoid the main A36 but if it was done by someone who did not like cyclists on the road then it would have the opposite effect if cyclists avoid this route and use the A36 to avoid punctures.

Can't wait until the miserable so-and-so's find out they're planning a new annual Tour of Yorkshire cycle race following the success of the last two days :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can't wait until the miserable so-and-so's find out they're planning a new annual Tour of Yorkshire cycle race following the success of the last two days :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's already in the advanced stages of planning. Sorry to disappoint you.

They always start in a different country and this year it is here.

.....not so sure that Monday in London is a good idea though! :eek:

Not quite true, but they do try to visit different EU countries each year.
The TdF is a real sporting spectacle, and we should be pleased that they want to include us. I reckon today's stage was the best I have ever watched in the UK.

Why not go and watch it. You won't see it soon again. It is pretty amazing seeing the speed they come by and the rest of circus that goes along. Chill, enjoy, be happy :)

go watch lycra clad roadies cycle past - sounds like fun

I expect the french are fed up with their roads being closed for a bike ride so they have to go somewhere else.

Nobody uses the roads in France so it's never a problem.

I went up to Skipton on saturday and didn't see a thing because I got there too late and it was rammed with people. Total blow-out.

Went to Huddersfield on sunday in plenty of time, walked up to Lockwood on the first hill out and got a great spot and had a great time. Weekend saved.

Back